Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

Chapter 16

                                                                                  Bad News

     Annie, Jeanie and Kenny spent the days before Christmas Eve sledding down the hills in Annie's back yard, going to the theater down town and enjoying the holiday movies being shown on the big screen.  And each night after those fun-filled days, the three of them drank hot chocolate and toasted marsh mellows over glowing coals in that Colliers' fireplace.

     Finally, it was Christmas Eve.  Aunt Anne had invited her neighbors over, those who had no family, to celebrate with cake, punch and good conversation.  But that was the plan for the evening.  In the afternoon, Uncle Bud hooked up the hay wagon to his tractor, which Annie and Jeanie had insisted upon decorating with silver garland and scarlet ribbon to fit the season.

     Then Annie, Jeanie ,Kenny and Uncle Bud loaded it with food baskets and gifts for the elderly people who had a hard time shopping for themselves.  Annie, Jeanie and Kenny hopped in the wagon and helped Uncle Bud deliver the presents.

     Dinner that evening was to began at five o'clock, so Aunt Anne would have time to clean up before the guests arrived at six for the get together.  Annie had requested tacos and chips which was fine with her auntie, because the meal made less mess than a full blown dinner.  At six o'clock the guests arrived.  The colliers and their friends were sitting before a roaring fire eating Christmas cake and pumpkin pie and drinking coffee and cocoa when Annie's cell rang out it's tune.

     She smiled as she took it out of her back pocket , remembering the times that Beth took it from there and answered it because Annie was not able to.  Annie was pleased and a little surprised when she saw the name of the caller on her screen.  "Hello Patti!"....was all she was able to say before Patti began rambling on hysterically.

     "Oh Annie!  I'm so glad I've reached you!  It's Daphne!  She's been abducted!"  Patti managed to say through her sobs.  "What?"  Annie shouted in disbelief.  Everyone in the room turned to stare at her. ...."She was taken in front of her house tonight.  She had gone to the store for something her mom had forgot to get earlier." 

     Annie's eyes were huge with fear as she listened intently.  Someone called a while ago with a ransom demand.  Mr. Ramsey is to deliver it to a waiting car in Waterbury in front of the courthouse, I think.  The F.B I. is working with Sheriff Cooper to get her back.  I'm so scared Annie.  Please pray!"  Then Patti broke down into uncontrollable sobbing.

     "We have a whole house full of people here who will pray for Daphne, and I'll call my pastor and he will have the whole town praying for her."  Annie assured her.  Auntie Anne came to stand next to Annie and put a comforting arm around her.  "Have you called anyone else?"  Annie asked her.  "No....just....you."  Patti stuttered out.

     "Okay.  Patti.  God has got this!  I'm sure of it.  "I'll call Collin and the guys, and Beth and the other girls."  "Thanks so much Annie."  Patti said, feeling a bit better and controlling her voice with some effort.  "My mom's calling me Annie.  I will keep you posted on what's happening.  I love you."  "I love you too Patti," and both girls rang off.

     Annie related the conversation to her aunt and uncle and the others in the room.  When she was done, aunt Anne got on the house phone and called their pastor, and uncle Bud turned on the TV thinking that Patti's abduction might just be on the news.  Sure enough, the newswoman on CNN was relating the story to the nation.

     She ended the broadcast with:  "CNN was notified of Daphne Ramsey's kidnapping by her abductors.  Annie, her aunt and uncle and friends let out a collective gasp.  "The kidnappers said if Mr. Ramsey didn't deliver the ransom on time, then the whole world would see his daughter pay for the mistake with her life.

     Bud shut off the TV and said soberly, "I think it's time to pray now."  The words were barely out of his mouth when there was a persistent knock at the door.  Uncle Bud went to answer it and in the doorway stood Pastor Green and his wife.  Coming up the walkway were a large group of the congregation. 

     Meanwhile, Annie was calling Beth, Trisha and Katie.  She told them what happened and naturally they all said they and their families would pray.  Then she called Collin.  She knew if she heard his calm, steady voice, it would calm her.  "Collin.  Have you heard?"  Annie asked immediately.  "Heard what?"  Collin said, realizing by the sound of Annie's voice she didn't have good news.

     "Daphne's been abducted!  Then before Collin could speak, she told him what had happened.  When she was through, she was sobbing softly.  Jeanie put her arm around Annie's shoulders.  "Take it easy Annie."  Collin said in a comforting tone.  "It will be okay.  The guys and I have been at the movies.  We were going to stay for another one, but...."

     Annie got control of herself and said, "On Christmas Eve?"  she asked incredulously.  "Yeah.  My family, as well as the other guys, celebrate on Christmas day.  And Charlie's spending the holidays with me.  Anyway, we haven't been at home to hear the news.  We'll tell our families and friends here to pray for Daphne."  He promised her.

     "But we have to go now.  I'm thinking of you.  I'll call you later, the guys want to know what's happening."  Annie could hear Charlie, Zack and Jamie's loud voices in the background.  "Okay Collin.  Talk to you later."  "Don't worry Annie, have faith.  Bye for now."  And Collin hung up.  "That was a little strange."  Annie told her friends.

     "What was strange?"  Jeanie asked.  "I'm not sure."  Annie said with a furrowed brow.  "Annie!  We're getting ready to pray now!"  Bud called.  "Okay.  Coming!"  Annie called back from the stairwell.  But as she, Jeanie and Kenny walked into the living room,  Annie began to get an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, thinking over her conversation with Collin.  But she didn't know why.

                                                                           End of Chapter 16