Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

"let's take seats and I'll tell you all about it,"  the sheriff said.  So the group sat down on the sofas just as a loud clap of thunder sounded, followed by a jagged streak of lightening.  "Looks like we're in for a storm."  Sheriff Cooper said, looking behind him through one of the large windows in the room.  Then he turned back and faced the girls with a very somber look on his face.

     Annie braced herself for bad news.  "Well, first of all, Bernie didn't steal the money."   Annie, Beth, Trisha and Katie all breathed a sigh of relief.  "How's Bernie's wife?"  Annie asked warily.  The sheriff sighed heavily and clasped his hands in front of him, leaning forward.  "His wife had just died before he arrived in the cafeteria earlier."  He said sadly.

     "Oh no."  Beth moaned softly, as a tear trickled down Annie's cheek.  She quickly wiped it away.  Trisha and Katie in unison said, "Poor Bernie."  "Yeah.  He's really beside himself."  The sheriff said shaking his head.  There was silence for a few moments.  No one knew what else to say.  Then the sheriff cleared his throat and changed the subject, "It was Bernie's shadow in the office."

     The girls gasped and their eyes widened, then they just gaped at Sheriff Cooper in shock.  Sheriff Cooper continued.  "Bernie admitted he was going to steal the money, but he said he couldn't do it.  He said Miss Leighton had been so to him and his wife...."  "He wanted it for his wife's bills, didn't he?"  Annie asked wisely.  The sheriff, Beth, Katie and Trisha gave her surprised looks.  "Yes he did," the sheriff said with a brow raised.

     "What?"  Annie said, Looking at their impressed faces.  "It just makes sense."  She ended with a shrug.  Sheriff Cooper and her friends grinned at her.  And then the sheriff went  on.  "Miss Leighton believed Bernie and I do too," the sheriff said nodding.  "We do too!"  the girls chimed.  "Well, I'm happy that Bernie didn't do it...."  Katie started.  "But who did?"  Beth asked.  "Yep.  We're back to no suspects, no evidence, and no clues."  Annie said with a frown.  "That's about it."  Trisha agreed.

     "Don't worry girls, we'll get 'em."  Sheriff Cooper said confidently.  Annie stared at him for a moment then said, "Sheriff Cooper's right.  We've only just begun this case.  No need to get all gloomy."  Annie said, joining in with the sheriff's positive thinking.   "That's right.  We haven't been working on this that long."  Trisha rallied.  "We just have to keep at it."   Beth  said in a determined voice.   "Yeah.  What y'all said."  Katie spouted as everyone laughed.

     "Have you finished with the housekeeping staff?"  Annie asked.  "Yeah.  They all have alibis."  Sheriff Cooper said.  "I'm beginning to wonder if the money just got up and walked away by it's self."  The girls giggled and the sheriff chuckled too.  "Oh, by the way, Bernie's taking some time off, a couple of weeks or so.  Miss Leighton told him to take more time if he needed it, and his job would be waiting for him when he returned."

     "She is so very nice."  Beth murmured.  "Yes. She is," the sheriff agreed and then rising.  "I've gotta go."  "See ya later."  Annie said as Sheriff Cooper began walking away, and the others called "Goodbye."  Then he stopped and turned, "You know, I just have this feeling that someone saw or heard something that would close this case,"  he said, shaking his head and walking out of the room.

     "Wow!  What a day!"  Annie said, just as her cell played out it's tune.  Beth rolled her eyes, suspecting who was calling.  Katie and Trisha giggled as Annie answered it.  "Hi Collin...."  Her friends giggled again, and she ignored them.  "As a matter of fact he just left."...."Well, the bad news is that Bernie's wife died."...."Yeah, we're all sorry too."...."The good news?  Well, Bernie isn't the thief.".... "We're glad too, but that means we still have a crook to catch."

     "The housekeeping staff all have alibis and the shadow in the office was Bernie.  He was going to steal it, but didn't."...." Yeah, I've things to do too.  I'll see you on Friday."  Annie blushed at Collin's next words. ...."Yeah, of course you can call me before then."  Annie rolled her eyes at her friends and they giggled softly. Then Annie smiled. ...."Well, tell Charlie I said "Hi" back...."See ya."

     "We'd better get ready for dinner."  Annie said, putting her cell into her jean pocket.  Beth picked up her bag and threw it over her shoulder, and Katie asked brightly.  "Was Charlie there with Collin?"  "Huh?"  Annie asked her gathering up her things.  Katie started to repeat her question when Annie interrupted. "Oh, yeah.  Charlie said to tell me "Hi" so I said hi back"  Annie said, leading her friends out.

     "Why are you asking about Charlie?"  Beth asked Katie in a suspicious voice.  Katie immediately blushed.  "You like him."  Trisha accused her, lightly bumping against her arm.  "Well, he's cute and sweet,"  she said, defending herself.  Trisha and Beth walked on up ahead of Annie and Katie at this point, whispering and giggling.

     "Annie."  Katie said, peeking up at her.  "Yeah."  Annie said, looking over at her.  "I think maybe Charlie likes you."  Katie said, biting her lip.   Annie laughed.  "I think Collin thinks that too.  But you're both wrong."  Katie gave her a little smile.  "We're just friends.  He reminds me of a friend back home."  Annie said, thinking of Kenny.

     "Well, I just thought, you know, because he chose to sit with you while we all played croquet...."  Katie trailed off.  "Oh.  Well he wanted to ask me some questions."  Annie hesitated.  "It's personal to him, or else I'd tell you,"  she said, giving her an apologetic look.  "That's okay Annie.  I knew you were the kind to keep secrets.  I'd never want you to betray a trust." Katie said smiling at her.  "Thank you for saying that Katie.  And as far as I know Charlie's a free agent."  Katie grinned at her.