Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

While Annie was holding for Sheriff Cooper, Trisha said, "You know I'm surprised there isn't already an alarm on the safe.  After all, there are alarms on the doors and windows."  I suppose the headmistresses through the years thought the alarms on the windows and doors were enough.  This place is in a remote area.  They probably thought it was too far out to interest thieves."  Katie suggested.

     Sheriff Cooper finally got on the phone and Annie told him Daphne's idea.  He said he couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it himself.  The sheriff said he would consult Miss Leighton first thing on Monday morning.  The girls discussed the case for another half hour before Annie called the meeting to an end.

     It was two o'clock in the afternoon when Annie, Beth, Trisha, Katie, Daphne and Patti waited just inside the basement window.  Annie took a peek outside.  The grounds were crowded, but no one was near their hiding place. So, one at a time, they climbed quickly through, Trisha, Katie and Patti were the last ones out because they helped Patti through, then Annie fastened the latch.

     It was a warm day, considering it was the last week of October.  The sky was overcast with slow moving gray clouds passing underneath it.   Ridgemont was hosting a Halloween party on the 31st; the guest being the boys of Ridgewest.  It was to be held in the gymnasium.  Annie, Beth and their friends were part of the decorating committee.  Patti, could once again walk without any aid.  She was so happy she could participate in the decorating when the day of the party arrived.

     The decorators hung large jack-o-lanterns from the basketball hoops, draped orange and black cray paper on the sides of the food tables.  And placed carved pumpkins with black realistic spiders atop them in the middle of each eating table as a centerpiece.  The massive room looked very festive when they were done.

     The alarm on the office safe was installed the week before.  Even though Annie was having a good time socializing with all of her friends, including Collin, Zack, Charlie and Jamie, she kept hoping for the alarm to go off.  In fact, it consumed her thoughts, and distracted her.  She shared her feelings with Beth.  "This alarm obsession is really getting on my nerves."  Annie complained.  "Just chill Annie, or we'll have to sedate you again,"  Beth laughed.

     Jamie and Patti had developed a close friendship.  He had evidently convinced her, that he would never do her any harm.  Patti shared with Annie that beside Annie herself, no one had ever treated her better than Jamie did.

     The Mystery Club Detectives were meeting every Saturday at nine a.m. But sadly, they didn't have any new information to add to their notebooks. But still, they hoped everyday that the office safe alarm would go off and the thief would be caught.

     Classes were going well for Annie and her friends, except for one incident involving Beth that occurred the second week in November.  It was a science experiment where Beth added too much of one ingredient and her beaker exploded, spewing slimy green fluid all over her, her table and anyone unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity.  Miss Leach, the science teacher came to the rescue with towels, sympathy and understanding.  She, Annie and Beth's other friends helped her clean up the mess, even though they had to hold in laughter that was begging to burst out.

     The third week in November brought with Thanksgiving, as it always does.  The students who were looking forward to going home for the holiday, were sorely disappointed.  For the day the students were to be released, three or four feet of snow was dumped on the Northeastern states.  All the newscasters proclaimed it was the worst snow fall in twenty years.  They added that it would take at least a week for everyone in the affected states to dig out.  And of course all air travel was cancelled until they could clear the runways.

     Miss Leighton and Ruthie made the best of a bad situation, and put together a Thanksgiving feast, the likes of which had never been see before.  Annie consoled herself with the thought that even though she couldn't spend Thanksgiving with her family, she could spend it with her friends, including, Collin, Zack, Jamie and Charlie.  For Ridgewest was invited to the celebration.

     Annie realized that she had much to be thankful for as she glanced over at Charlie, Patti and Daphne that evening at dinner.  Everyone clasped hands with their neighbor, the great feast before them, and then Miss Leighton said a very moving Thanksgiving prayer.

                                                                               End of Chapter 14