Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

Annie, Beth, Katie and Trisha went to the back of the bus and sat on the long bench like seat.  The four buses at Ridgemont filled up quickly.  Ruthie and Miss Leighton were the last ones on.  They sat in seats behind the driver.  The drivers then closed their doors and they were on their way.

     The Waterbury Church was a massive building with tall stone pillars either side of a set of double doors.  This nine o'clock service was reserved only for the students at Ridgemont and Ridgewest.  When inside, the girls took their seats on the right side of the sanctuary.  The boys were already in their places on the left.

     Annie and her friends enjoyed the service.  The girls knew most of the songs and the Pastor taught on Corinthians 13; what is called the "Love" chapter.  It was one of Annie's favorite chapters in the bible.  The Pastor ended his sermon with the words, "And the greatest of these is love."

     There was a bit of uncomfortableness for Trisha before the girls took their seats.  Trisha was catholic, and she made the sign of the cross when the group walked in.  A few girls giggled and a blush worked it way up Trisha face.  She was obviously embarrassed.  Beth whispered to her.  "Don't let that bother you.  I'm sure the Lord appreciated it."

     As soon as Annie and her friends emerged from the bus back at Ridgemont, they rushed up to their dorms to change out of their good clothes and into something more comfortable.  The girls were sitting in Annie and Beth's dorm when an announcement came over the PA system.  It cracked and squeaked before anyone could make sense of the words. Finally, they heard Miss Leighton's voice.

     "I hope it's not more bad news," Katie moaned.  "Hello students.  Instead of lunch in the cafeteria today, we are having a picnic on the grounds."  Squeals of joy rang throughout the halls.  "It's good news!"  Katie shouted gleefully.  The other girls laughed at her.  Miss Leighton gave the girls a minute to celebrate the news and then continued.

     "We have invited Ridgewest to join us.  This is our first social event of the season.  Caterers have everything set up in back of the school.  I expect all of you to behave like the young ladies you are."  Loud laughter was now heard throughout the second floor.  "When you are dressed and ready, please go down and greet our guests.  "Thank you, and have a great time today."

     Annie, Beth, Katie and Trisha stared incredulously at each other, then Katie said, "Well, at least we don't have to dance with them."  Her friends snickered.  "Always the optimist."  Annie said chuckling. 

     Annie thought it was a great day for a picnic.  It was a mild autumn day; a blue sky overhead and the sun poking intermediately through white fluffy clouds.  Within a few minutes, Annie, Katie, Trisha and Beth were standing on the edge of the picnic area under that blue sky.  The grounds were already packed with Ridgemont girls and Ridgewest boys.  Annie found it funny that the girls were on one side of the lawn and the boys on the other.  The caterers had placed a dozen tables end to end in front of the tennis courts.  Annie had never seen so much food and drink in her life.

     The girls and boys hunger seemed to outweigh their shyness and they all began to line up at the tables.  "Come on!  Let's go before all the food is gone!"  Annie shouted.  And she and her friends took off across the yard.  They filed in at the back of the line and four Ridgewest boys lined up behind them.

     Annie leaned around Beth's shoulder and stared at the long line of students ahead of them.  "We should've run faster," she moaned.  Before Beth, Katie or Trisha could comment, a snicker came from behind them.  All four girls looked in the direction that the noise came from.  A tall red headed boy with mischievous blue eyes was staring at Annie in particular.