Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

Chapter 17

                                                                                      The Rescue

     After an hour of praying, with everyone in the house participating, Uncle Bud turned on the TV again, and the same newswoman from earlier in the day, was once again reporting on the kidnapping of Daphne Ramsey.  "We and the other news media have been instructed not to film the events unfolding in Waterbury Connecticut.  The authorities in charge say they won't give in to the abductors wishes, just as our government doesn't give in to terrorist's demands.

     Annie's stomach gave a lurch and she feared she might throw up.  She had never felt this kind of terror before.  Annie began shaking and crying hysterically; her pastor, Aunt Anne, Uncle Bud, Jeanie, Kenny, and in fact everyone in the room who could find a place, gathered around her and in a babble of voices began speaking comforting words, while Jeanie and Kenny held Annie tightly, one of either side of her.

     Just then someone rapped furiously on the door.  Auntie answered it this time.  "Annie!"  Beth shouted, and ran to her as people made way for her to get to her friend.  Beth enfolded Annie, who immediately sobbed on her shoulder.  Aunt Anne invited Beth's parents into the living room, where they were introduced to the other visitors.

     "Beth just had to be with her friend."  Beth's mother said with eyes full of tears.  "After all, Henderson isn't that far away, and sometimes miles don't mean anything."  Mr. Crosswell said with a smile.

     Meanwhile in Waterbury, four boys were hiding in a line of bushes across the street from the court house.  Collin reasoned that their parents would assume the four of them were still at the movies.  He knew that he and the other boys would have to confess where they had been when it was all over.  But for now, they, the F.B.I., and Sheriff Cooper all waited in various hidden places around the court house.

     As the boys watched, an old sedan pulled up to the curb in front of the building under a street lamp.  The boys could see three men, two in the front seat and one in the back sitting beside Daphne Ramsey.  Suddenly, the two in the front got out of the car guns drawn, pointing first in one direction then the other.

     Collin and his buddies could see that Daphne was bound and gagged.  "Where's the Press?" the man nearest the street asked.  It was impossible to describe the abductors because they wore ski masks and very bulky clothing.  The only statistic that could be determined was their height.  The man nearest the street was very tall, unusually so.  The other man nearest the curb was about five feet nine inches, according to Collin's estimation. 

     "Don't worry about that now,"  Mr. five nine said.  "The money is the important thing.  And her father should be here in just a few minutes."  He laughed.  Just then, the man in the back seat got out of the car.  (He was a short man, about five feet, four inches tall.) "Hey!  Your supposed to be watching the girl!"  Tall man said angrily.  

     "Where?"  Mr. Five nine said.  "Behind one of those trees Dopey,"  he answered with a roll of his eyes.  And with that, he lumbered off across the lawn to the side of the building heading into a grove of trees.  "These guys are the dumbest criminals I've ever seen."  Zack whispered in an incredulous voice.  "Don't they know the police are all over this place?"

     "What's keeping her father?  He should be here by now."  Mr Tall man said anxiously, pulling up the edge of his sleeve and checking his watch.  "It's after eight o'clock."   "Don't you think these guys sound really young, like their almost our age."  Jamie observed, glancing at his friends.  Zack, Collin and Charlie peered more closely at the two remaining kidnappers.

     "Guys."  Jamie said, his hazel eyes narrowed, and a knowing smirk on his face.  "Those aren't real guns," he whispered with glee.  "How could you possible know that?"  Collin asked him.  "Elementary my dear Watson, my little brother got to open an early Christmas present.  It was a pellet gun and it looks just like the guns those three are carrying.  And one of the Bozos forgot to take the sales tag of it."

     Jamie then pointed to Mr. Five nine who was standing the closest to where the boys were hiding.  "I don't think Disney makes a regulation weapon, do you?"  Collin, Zack and Charlie peered through the bushes, and sure enough, there was the sales tag with Disney printed clearly in colorful lettering.  Jamie's friends stared at him with renewed respect.

     "Have you all noticed that "Shorty"  hasn't come back yet?"  Charlie said with brows raised.  "I think one or more of the "Good" guys have got him."  "If that's true, then they know the culprits aren't carrying real weapons.  That's good isn't it?"  Zack asked.  Charlie pointed to the side of the car, where a long rifle leaned against it.  "He didn't take his weapon with him.  "And do you all think the cops will believe him, if he tells them the weapons are just toys?"  The other boys eyes were suddenly wide with stress.

     "Oh Boy!  I've got to call Sheriff Cooper before the F.B.I. fires on three dumb kids."  Collin said frantically.  Collin had just finished his sentence when a limo pulled up to the curb.  "Hurry Collin!"  Zack pleaded, as Collin grabbed his phone and pushed a button.  Sheriff Cooper answered on the first ring.  Collin explained hurriedly what the boys had discovered.

     While Collin was on his cell, Charlie looked around nervously as Mr. Ramsey headed slowly down the street towards the old sedan.  The two men, or boys, no one was sure what they were at this point, moved into the street waiting for him.  Charlie couldn't take the tension anymore, and he cried out in a booming voice, "THEY'RE JUST KIDS!  THE WEAPONS ARE FAKES!  PLEASE DON'T SHOOT THEM!"  Mr. Ramsey immediately halted, the two would be criminals dropped their weapons and ran off into the wooded area beside the court house.

     From all around them the F.B.I. officers jumped out from bushes and trees and took off after the kidnappers.  The boys only had to watch for a few minutes to see the officers come walking out of the woods with two handcuffed, petrified kids.  They had been demasked, and looked no older than sixteen.  Sheriff Cooper had hung up with Collin the second he heard Charlie's shout.  He was now talking with Mr. Ramsey who held his daughter Daphne close at his side.

     "Shall we go say "Hi."  Charlie said, grinning sarcastically.  "Let's not."  Zack said, ruffling his hair.  "Let's get out of here!"  Collin said, hurrying away.  "What he said."  Jamie agreed following.  "Didn't your mom say she was baking an apple pie?"  Charlie asked Collin.  Collin laughed.  "Yes.  And it has your name on it."  Charlie grinned contentedly as the boys quickly made their get away.

                                                                           End of Chapter 17