Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

Miss Leighton was smiling as she said it, but Annie thought it took a lot of effort to do it; she looked frazzled.   "Um, we wanted to talk to Ruthie a minute."  Annie said meekly.  She was sorry to have interrupted what sounded like a tense discussion.  "Ruthie, why don't you see what the girls need.  I have a phone call to make."  Miss Leighton said, picking up the receiver from a phone on the counter.

     Ruthie nodded, and stepped outside the door, the girls following, and closing the door behind her.  "What do you need?"  Ruthie asked in a rather stressed voice.  "We kind of have a situation going on.  Annie's interest was piqued, but Annie thought it would be rude to ask any questions.

     So, she said while holding up the album, "Mom told me to tell you thanks."  Ruthie looked as confused as Annie's friends did before.   Annie grinned at the look she gave her and said, "My Mom left a letter for me in the scrapbook, and asked me to thank you for giving it to me."  Annie said as way of explanation.

     "Oh."  Ruthie said, patting Annie's head in an affectionate way.  Suddenly, Miss Leighton opened the door, and Ruthie and the girls turned at the sound.  "Ruthie, I'm making an announcement over the P.A., telling the students to go immediately to the auditorium."  She said seriously.

     Ruthie nodded.  "Ill herd these four that way."  Miss Leighton nodded and closed the door.  Annie and her friends glanced warily at each other.  The announcement came a moment later.

     The girls and Ruthie walked quickly and silently toward the auditorium, along with their confused classmates.  Annie, Beth, Katie and Trisha took seats near the front, and Ruthie sat with them.

     In five minutes time, Miss Leighton entered with a man in a sheriff's uniform following  behind her.  Everyone in the place were looking at their neighbors, wondering what was going on.  Miss Leighton began speaking:

"I have some distressing news.  Very unpleasant news."  Every eye was glued to Miss Leighton's face.  "An enormous amount of money has disappeared from my office safe."  There were gasps and anxious whispers from her audience, including Annie and her friends.  Ruthie put a finger to her lips, calling for quiet.

     "I'm ashamed to say, that the safe was unlocked."  More shocked whispers.  "Evidently, the locked wasn't triggered when I closed the safe this morning.  The key is missing too.  It had been in my desk.  Our Sheriff Cooper here will be investigating the theft.  "He's going to say a few words now."

     Annie thought she had a completely defeated look.  She felt so bad for her.  Annie glanced at Ruthie and her friends.  It was obvious to Annie, from the looks on their faces, they felt sorry or Miss Leighton too.  The sheriff moved up to the microphone.  He was a short man, rather chubby, who was in his early fifties.  He had light brown hair, which was thinning and piercing blue eyes.   Annie thought when he smiled he would have dimples in his chubby cheeks.  Sheriff Cooper began to speak:

     "Like your headmistress has said, there is a lot of money missing from her office safe.  The theft happened today between nine and nine thirty, when Miss Leighton was out of her office."  The sheriff's voice reflected the seriousness of the situation.  "This school is in a remote area.  It is unlikely to me that anyone outside this school, stole the money."  It was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

     "So, the only conclusion is....that someone on the inside committed the theft."  Still, not a sound from his audience.  "I will be interviewing everyone who is in attendance here, now, in the next few days.  Miss Leighton has given me the current residence list, so I won't be running around talking to students who weren't here when the theft occurred."

     Now, the smart thing to do, would be for the guilty party or parties to come forward.  If that person or persons do that before eight o'clock tonight, Miss Leighton won't prosecute, and that will be the end of it.  "But," and he looked even more severe now.  His eyes passed over every face in the room, lastly on Annie's, then he paused, and almost smiled.

     Annie didn't understand the sudden humor in his eyes when he looked at her.  In a moment, he started again.   "If the culprit doesn't come forward....well, juvenile jail is  not fun.  Believe me.  Miss Leighton...." He said, looking behind him, where Miss Leighton stood, looking forlorn, and about ready to cry.

     Sheriff Cooper moved aside and Miss Leighton slowly came forward to the microphone.  "I'm really sorry to  have to start our new school year like this.  I hope whoever took the money will search their heart and do the right thing.  You are dismissed."  She ended, just as soberly as she had began.

     Miss Leighton began a conversation with sheriff Cooper as the auditorium emptied, everyone whispering among themselves.  Annie noticed Daphne and Patti walking up the center isle looking superior as always.

     In a short time, Ruthie, Annie, Beth, Trisha and Katie were all that were left of the audience.  The five of them stood in the isle talking quietly.  "I feel so sorry for her."  Beth whispered, so her voice wouldn't carry back to Miss Leighton, who was only about twenty feet away, still talking to sheriff Cooper.

     "I do too."  Katie said quietly in her soft southern drawl.  "It's a terrible thing to have happened."  Annie said, shaking her head.  "She's talking of resigning."  Ruthie said in a sad voice.  "She can't do that!"  Annie said, working to control the loudness of her voice.  "Honey, she's ashamed, devastated."  Ruthie explained.

     "I know.  But if she gives up....the bad guys win!, or girls in this case."  Annie said passionately.  Her friends nodded in agreement.  Ruthie smiled.  "You four girls are....well, you all are really something special."  Annie, Beth, Katie and Trisha, smiled back at her.

     "There's got to be something we can do to help."  Beth said in frustration.  "I don't....Annie started, and then stopped when she saw sheriff Cooper coming up the isle to where the group was standing.

     "I thought I was seeing a ghost," were the first words out of his mouth as he fixed his piercing blue eyes on Annie's face.  "You have got to be Sara Adams daughter!"

                                                                     End of Chapter 4