The Boy in the Iceberg

"It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn ladies," Sokka declares as he glances toward me and Katara, "this is how you catch a fish."

He readies his spear, but Katara and I share a look and peek out of the boat. There's a fish swimming below us and I nod to Katara telling her that she should try to catch it. She takes off a glove and draws in a shaky breath.

"Sokka, look!" She exclaims while controlling an orb of water containing a fish.

"Shh, Katara, you're gonna scare him away. Mmm, I can already smell it cooking."

"But, Sokka, she caught one," I try to explain.

Ignoring us, he draws back his spear popping Katara's orb soaking him and I both with water.

"Hey!" Katara shouts.

"Why is it that every time you play with magic water, (y/n) and I get soaked?" he complains as I use my own bending to dry myself off.

"It's not magic. It's waterbending. And it's..." Katara and I both start.

Sokka cuts us off, "Yeah, yeah – an ancient art unique to our culture, blah, blah, blah... Look I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

"You're calling us weird?" I sassed back, "I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water."

He's making muscles to himself in his reflection, only further proving my point. Sokka turns and stares me down when our boat jolts and enters a current. It picks up speed at an alarming rate. Sokka grabs a paddle and uses it to steer, saving us from being crushed by a set of colliding icebergs.

"Watch out! Go left! Go left!"

The boat bounces off the icebergs coming at us from all sides. We keep going until I see two pieces of floating ice coming at us from both sides. We all jump out just in time to watch our boat get crushed. 'Great left, Sokka, no we're stranded!' I think to myself.

"You call that left?" 'Man, that girl can basically read my mind. No wonder we're such good friends.'

"You don't like my steering. Well, maybe you should have 'waterbended' us out of the ice," Sokka replied.

"So it's my fault."

"Ugh, I knew I should have left you two at home. Leave it to some girls to screw things up."

He did not just go there. I sat there red-faced, silently containing my rage, but I could tell Katara was about to explode.

"You are the most sexist, immature, nut-brained – ugh! I'm embarrassed to be related to you!" Katara ranted, flailing her arms.

Behind her, the water formed into waves and a huge, and I mean huge, iceberg cracked. Sokka cringed and my jaw went slack.

"...Ever since mom died, (y/n) and I've been doing all the work around camp, while you've been off playing soldier."

"Ah... Katara..," I try to intervene.

"I even wash all the clothes, have you ever smelled your dirty socks? Let me tell you, NOT PLEASANT!" She stomped her foot and the cracks grew larger.

"Katara! Settle down!" Sokka warned.

"NO! That's it, I'm done helping you. From now on, you're on your own!" With one final throw of her arms, the waves crashed and the iceberg splintered right up the middle. With a heavy crash, the iceberg made a mini-tsunami, sending our little raft of ice away.

"Ok, you've gone from weird to freakish, Katara," I tell her, patting her on the back.

"You mean, I did that?"