The King of Omashu - Part 1

The air blew softly, rippling through the blades of grass peeking past the thin layer of snow that covered the ground. We had landed outside of a city Aang so badly wanted to visit. At first, I was excited to see how large Earth Kingdom cities functioned, but our walk was wearing me out and I slowly began to lose interest. Are we there yet? Katara, Sokka and I followed Aang. We were climbing a hill and as we reached the peak of it, you could see for miles.

"The Earth Kingdom city of Omashu! I used to always come here to visit my friend Bumi." On a neighboring mountain was an enormous city. Those buildings are like nothing I've seen in the Southern Water Tribe. None of them seem to be made of ice! And instead of the round igloo-shape our buildings have, these are rectangular topped off with a pointed roof. Already, the Earth Nation seems completely foreign to me.

"Wow. We don't have buildings like this in the South Pole!" Katara said, impressed.

"They have buildings here that don't melt!" Sokka seemed a bit overwhelmed.

Awestruck, I added, "I've never seen so many buildings concentrated in one place before. There's just so freakin' many!"

"Well let's go, slow pokes. The real fun's inside the city!" he jumped up excitedly and began sliding down the side of the hill toward the city.

"Wait, Aang! It could be dangerous if people find out you're the Avatar," Katara warned him, making him halt.

"You need a disguise," Sokka said somewhat seriously.

"So what am I supposed to do?" his tone was slightly sarcastic, "Grow a mustache?" His silly suggestion gave me an idea. I rushed over to Appa and began collecting his shedding hair. I then hurried over to Aang and started creating my masterpiece.

"Voila! He is finished," I shouted unveiling a now old-looking Aang. He wiggled the fake mustache attached to his face, and then he itched under the tall, bushy wig crafted from Appa's fur.

"Ugh. This is so itchy," he turned to his sky bison, "How do you live in this stuff?" he inquired incredulously.

"Great! Now you look just like my grandfather," Sokka commented.

"Technically, Aang is 112 years old," Katara added, glancing back to where he sat on a rock.

Sokka stood up and began circling Aang, analyzing him. He finished his lap around the airbender and stood next to me. With a nudge to my side, he mumbled softly and almost approvingly, "Not bad (l/n), not bad." I smiled brightly at the appreciation of my handiwork.

"Now let's get to skippin', young whipper-snappers. The big city awaits!" Aang practiced in an old-man voice that was pretty convincing.

***

We approached the gate that lead into Omashu. In front of it, stood a group of guards talking to a man wielding a cart full of... cabbages?

"You guys are going to love Omashu. The people here are the friendliest in the world." We neared the sentries and one's voice grew loud.

"Rotten cabbages?! What kind of slum do you think this is?!" With a bit of earthbending, the guard catapulted the cart of cabbages into the deep chasm below that surrounded the city.

Desperately, the merchant looked down over the edge of the path, waving his arms, "No! My cabbages!"

Aang started moving along, with a nervous smile on his face, "Just keep smiling!" Sokka, Katara, and I shared an uneasy look, all of us anxious about what's to come.

The guard aggressively bent a rock, levitating it above Aang's head. Threateningly, he addressed him, "State your business!"

Uh oh, these guys are not gonna take any of our shit.