The King of Omashu - Part 7

*I decided to post this immediately because I'm so appreciative of all of you! It's not very y/n centric, but it's a step in the right direction. This episode had been giving me a lot of trouble so I wanted to get it over with. It may be a while before I release anything else but I'm feeling a bit more confident over these past couple of days. So, thanks again and enjoy!*

"So, I will give your friends some special souvenirs," the king told Aang. The wall that was separating us from our friend, disappeared into the earth of the building. Aang stared at the three of us with wide eyes before facing the king.

Before I could refuse, a guard forced a blue crystalline ring on my finger. It tightened, perfectly adjusting to a size that, when I tried to tug it, would not come off. To my right and my left, Sokka and Katara fought with their own rings. After a few failed attempts, I quit, unable to remove what I assumed was supposed to be the earthbender's version of a torture device.

"Those delightful rings are made of pure jennamite, also known as creeping crystal. It's a crystal that grows remarkably fast," I looked up in horror as the king explained. He held a sinister gleam in his eye, "By nightfall, your friends will be completely covered in it. Terrible thing, really. I can stop it, but only if you cooperate."

"Ah!" Sokka exclaimed at my side, "It's already creeping!" I watched as his ring doubled in size, consuming a fraction of his hand. I lifted my own hand into view just as the ring crept one step closer to me.

As my heart raced a beat faster, I flashed a desperate look to Aang. He looked to us all before turning back to the king. Ready to save his us, his tone was dead serious, "I'll do what you want."

***

By the time Aang had started his first task, the creeping crystal had made its way up to our elbows.

"It seems I've lost my lunch box key and I'm hungry. Ooh, there it is," the old geezer points to a waterfall in the center of the cavern. Squinting, I could barely spot the chain in the center, a small key dangling at the end of it. Below that was a latter. "Would you mind fetching it for me?" the king asked smugly.

Aang was quick to answer. He spoke no words as he hopped effortlessly from stalagmite to stalagmite. Aang's confidence eased my anxiety a bit. Surely, he could pass this crazy king's weird tests.

After each failed attempt, we tried our best to keep encouraging smiles on our faces. It was the least we could do for Aang.

Before long, Aang had pinned the key mockingly over the king's head with a stalagmite he threw through the waterfall.

Across the cavern, Aang hollered, "There! Enjoy your lunch! I want my friends back now!"

"Ah, not yet. I need help with another matter. It seems I've lost my pet, Flopsie."

***

Aang's next chore of the king's to-do list was to catch his pet, Flopsie. By the looks of it, Flopsie was a long-eared bunny just waiting for Aang to catch him.

"Okay! Found him!" Aang said.

"Bring him to me. Daddy wants a kiss from Flopsie!" the king requested, arms open and ready to embrace his misplaced pet.

I watched on as Aang approached the create, softly calling its name. Just a he was about to grab the little guy, a large monster of a creature dropped in behind him. Let's just say that I've never seen an animal like that one. Its white fur, horns, and gorilla-like demeanor had me scared and confused for Aang, and I wasn't even the one getting chased down by it. But, still determined to beat this task, Aang evaded the monster and continued to chase after the rabbit.