The King of Omashu - Part 6

After guiding us down a few halls, the guard earthbended a large portion of a rock wall away. He pushed us all forward and we stumbled into a large circular room. We took in the 'cell' that we were confined to as he sealed up the entrance behind us. Four beds were centered in the middle of the room and above us were beautiful draperies flowing from the ceiling.

"This is a prison cell? But it's so nice," Katara was as in as much awe as I was.

Aang spoke up, "He did say it was newly refurbished."

As I wandered around, checking out the room, they kept talking, "Nice or not, we're prisoners!" Sokka tried to refocus the other two.

After I did a round around the round room, I regrouped with them. Aang's face grew worried and he stared anxiously at his staff, "I wonder what these challenges are gonna to be."

"We're not sticking around to find out. There's got to be some way out of here," Katara placed her hands on her hips, determined.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news," I started, "but there's no way out. The only way, which would be impossible for us, would be the—" Aang cut me off, finishing the thought.

Though he was far more enthusiastic than I was, "The air vents!" he pointed at one of the small openings across the room.

I just stared at Aang. Did he not hear what I just said? That would be physically impossible for us to do!

Sokka told Aang, "If you think we're going to fit through there, you're crazier than that king," I swear his voice cracked in frustration.

"We can't, but Momo can!" We all turned to the lemur. He was lounging on one of the beds, lazily munching on an apple. Sure, looks like a saving grace to me, I thought, rolling my eyes. Aang wandered over, leaning on the bed beside Momo. He spoke to the flying lemur, "Momo, I need you to find Appa and bust us outta here!"

Momo seemed as if he understood the boy's request but he didn't seem too keen to start. It took a total of about three minutes to figure out that this plan was a bust. No matter how hard Aang tried, Momo's full belly was never making it through the air vents.

We all sighed in disappointment. After a few minutes and some small discussion, it was decided: we'd have to stay the night and Aang would have to face his challenges.

"Get some rest, Aang," Katara spoke to the airbender, who continued to grow worried about what was going to happen the following day, "Looks like you'll need it for tomorrow."

We all followed her lead, crawling into our individual beds.

***

I could've only been asleep for short while. It had been a pain finally committing to slumber after rolling around for hours, uncomfortable and anxious. Had I known I was going to be rudely awakened by spirits-knows-who, then I would've just stayed awake.

No sound left my mouth, too shocked to understand what was going on. Three guards were quietly removing me, Katara and Sokka from the cell. Where are they taking us?!

I watched as the guards led Katara and Sokka ahead of me. Sokka turned back to look at me. I felt as though our faces mirrored each other's, both wide-eyed and scared as hell. How are we gonna get out of this mess, especially if we're separated from Aang?