The Warriors of Kyoshi - Part 1

"You have no idea where you're going, do you?" Sokka asked Aang while looking at our map.

Aang was cheerful with his reply, "Well ... I know it's near water."

"I guess we're getting close then."

It's been a while since we've heard some of Sokka's good ole' sarcasm. I laughed lightly at Sokka's comment, but no sound came from Katara. She was preoccupied with sewing Sokka's pants. I have no idea how he ripped them in the first place.

"Momo, marbles please," Aang requested of our newly initiated lemur. "Hey Katara, check out this airbending trick!" Momo handed him two metal marbles. Using his bending he spun the marbles quickly in a circle. He looked up to her hoping she was impressed.

"That's great, Aang," she said nonchalantly.

Aang's face fell with a disappointed look, "You didn't even look."

She looked up to him feigning excitement, "That's great!"

"But I'm not doing it now."

"Stop bugging her, airhead. You need to give girls space when they do their sewing," Sokka explained to Aang.

I sighed, falling back on to my rolled up sleeping bag. Great! Another argument over Sokka's sexism. I wish Katara would just ignore it like I do. She should just start proving him wrong with her actions to make a point instead of droning on about it. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, dreading Katara's next words.

"What does me being a girl have to do with sewing?" Boy, is she mad.

"Simple. Girls are better at fixing pants than guys and guys are better at hunting and fighting and stuff like that." What an idiot. "It's just the natural order of things."

Obviously annoyed with her older brother she gave him a bright, sarcastic smile, "All done with your pants! And look what a great job I did!"

"Wait! I was just kidding," he pleaded, sticking his arm through the large hole in his pants, " I can't wear these! Katara, please!"

"Serves you right, Sokka," I told him while giving Katara the high-five she deserved.

From Appa's head, I hear Aang say, "Relax, Sokka. Where we're going, you won't need any pants."

Aang yanked on Appa's reins and we veered to the left. Not far off in the distance was a mountainous island. We landed on a beach looking out along a bay. A thin blanket of snow covered the ground.

"We just made a pit stop yesterday. Shouldn't we get a little more flying done before we camp out?"

"He's right. At this rate, we won't get to the North Pole until spring," I agreed with Sokka.

"But Appa's tired, aren't you boy?" The bison gave an unconvincing grunt. Aang not-so-subtly elbowed his beastly buddy, "I said, aren't you boy?" Appa gave a slightly more believable grunt, topping it off with a yawn.

"Yeah, that was real convincing," Sokka said sarcastically, "Still, hard to argue with a ten-ton magical monster."

Aang ran to the shore, "Look!" In front of us, an extravagant elephant koi leaped from the water. "That's why we're here," he started taking his robes off, "Elephant koi, and I'm gonna ride it. Katara, you've got to watch me!"

It's just too sweet. All he wants is a little attention from Katara. Aang dove headfirst into the water, jumping back out immediately, "Cold!" I never would've guessed the water would be cold in the middle of winter.

Aang swam out and dove back into the ocean, emerging seconds later attached to the fin of one of the gigantic creatures. He waved and Katara waved back mirroring his enthusiasm. I smiled enjoying the newfound entertainment.

Katara seemed impressed, "He looks pretty good out there."

"Are you kidding?" Sokka lazily gestured at Aang in the water, "The fish is doing all the work."

Running behind us Katara shouted, "No, Appa. Don't eat that!"

We looked back to the water watching Aang again. From a distance, I saw a dark shadow swimming just below the surface.

"There's something in the water!" I yelled at the airbender.

One by one the koi disappeared until the only one left was the one Aang was on. He seemed unfazed, still riding the giant fish, but Katara ran to my side looking worried.

"What's wrong?"

"Aang's in trouble," Sokka explained. He then tried gaining the boy's attention. We all started shouting for him.

"Get out of there!"

Aang waved at us when he was abruptly thrown off the back of his elephant koi. Aang needs to get out of the water now! Whatever that thing is, it must be absolutely enormous!

A tall, dark fin protruded from the water right behind Aang. We all stood slack-jawed at the sight. Aang turned around, screaming. He managed to quickly run back to shore before being eaten by the unknown sea monster. Upon reaching the beach, he ran directly into Sokka, knocking both of them over.

The beast immerged back into the water and I turned to the boys, "What was that thing?"

Aang was getting dressed, "I don't know."

"Well, let's not stick around to find out. Time to hit the road," Sokka started leading the way back to Appa. Before we even knew what hit us, we were blindfolded and tied up tightly. All I saw was an austere shade of black and all I heard was a sarcastic Sokka saying, "Or, we could stay a while."