The Warriors of Kyoshi - Part 2

"You four have some explaining to do," from what I could tell, it was a man speaking.

We had been tied to a wooden pole. Where? That I couldn't tell.

"And if you don't answer all our questions, we're throwing you back in the water with Unagi," spoke a girl, and from what I could tell she didn't sound any older than a teenager. Unagi? Wait, that's what that thing's called?

"Show yourselves, cowards!" Shut up, Sokka! You're gonna get us killed! The blindfold shielding my eyes was abruptly stripped from my face. I adjusted to the unpleasant light that was blinding me. My eyes focused on the group of girls standing in front of us. Each was hidden behind a mask of face paint: all white, with red above the eyes. Damn, these girls mean business.

"Who are you? Where are the men who ambushed us?"

The girl who spoke before stepped forward, shaking her fist at Sokka, "There were no men. We ambushed you. Now tell us, who are you and what are you doing here?"

"Wait a second," he looked at them in disbelief. His eyes moved to us seeking confirmation, then turned back to her, mockingly, "there's no way that a bunch of girls took us down."

She grabbed him by the collar, pulling him close to her face, threateningly, "A bunch of girls, huh? Unagi is gonna eat well tonight."

"No, don't hurt him! He didn't mean it. My brother is just an idiot sometimes," Katara begged for his pardon.

"It's my fault," we all looked at Aang in surprise, "I'm sorry we came here. I wanted to ride the elephant koi."

"How do we know you're not Fire Nation spies?" the man pointed at us accusingly, "Kyoshi stayed out of the war so far. And we intend to keep it that way!"

"This island is named for Kyoshi?" Aang asked brightly, "I know Kyoshi!"

"Ha! How could you possibly know her?" the old guy obviously didn't believe him, "Avatar Kyoshi was born here four hundred years ago. She's been dead for centuries." He glanced up to the top of the pole. I followed his line of sight. Towering above the small town, on top of the pole we were bound to, stood a carving. I assumed it was Avatar Kyoshi, but from where I stood, tied to the post, I couldn't make out any details.

"I know her because I'm the Avatar."

The teenage girl spoke up, again, "That's impossible! The last Avatar was an airbender who disappeared a hundred years ago."

"That's me!" Aang reveals sheepishly.

The old man, filled with uncontained rage, pointed aggressively towards the ocean. He growled through his teeth, "Throw the impostor to Unagi!"

The girls approached us from all side, each equipped with two metal fans. Katara leaned forward in order to talk to Aang. Nervously she mumbled to him, "Aang ... do some airbending."

In the blink of an eye, Aang was in the air. He pulled on the ropes binding him to the pole. Taunt, they snapped against the pressure. He floated peacefully down, surrounded by an aura of awe and gasping gatherers. The town was impressed with the sight before them.

"It's true ... you are the Avatar!" the old man gasped, convinced.

"Now ...," Aang searched inside his robe, pulling out the marbles. Ready to impress, he shouted, "Check this out!" He completed the trick he did before, proud to have people appreciate it in all of its glory. One guy squealed excitedly and began to foam at the mouth. He fell over, fainting, but the crowd went unfazed and continued cheering for the Avatar.

***

After being cut from our binding against the pole, the kind townspeople set us up with a room. We got settled and rested for the night.

The following morning we were served a vast assortment of sweets and food galore. I sat, munching happily on a sweet roll beside Katara, and beside her was Aang. Sokka was in the corner, far away from the collection of treats, sulking.

"All right! Dessert for breakfast!" Aang cheered. "These people sure know," he shoved one of the desserts in his mouth, successfully muffling the rest of his sentence, "how to treat an Avatar! Mmm ...," he offered a dessert to Katara, "Katara, you've got to try these!"

Accepting it, "Well, maybe just a bite."

"Sokka, what's your problem?"Aang asks him, "Eat!" 

"Not hungry."

"But you're always hungry!" Aang looked at Katara and me, concerned.

I mocked Sokka, teasing him a bit, "He's just upset because a bunch of girls kicked his butt yesterday."

"They snuck up on me!" he objected with a whiny protest.

"Right. And then they kicked your butt," I continued to torment him.

"Sneak attacks don't count!" he headed for the door taking big strides, mumbling to himself. I hear, "Tie me up with ropes! I'll show them a thing or two." He walked back to the table and snatched a few desserts, "I'm not scared of any girls. Who do they think they are anyway?" He shoved a treat into his mouth, walking away again, "Mmm ... this is tasty."

Did I upset him? Maybe I should apologize. Well, I'm just gonna make sure he's alright. I decided to follow him. When I left the room, there was no sign of him, so I went to search the rest of the village.