The Southern Air Temple - Part 5

When we finally made it to the tent, Sokka was crouched fearfully behind a large chunk of rubble. Katara and I squatted down beside him. I got a good look at what we were hiding from. Inside the whirlwind floated Aang, eyes, and tattoos glowing the same shade of bluish white that was held by the eyes of the statues in the sanctuary.

"What happened?" Katara shouted worriedly at her brother.

"He found out firebenders killed Gyatso!"

"Oh no! It's his Avatar Spirit!" She raised her hand to protect herself against the winds and the flying debris, "He must have triggered it! I'm going to try and calm him down!" She inched her way toward Aang, fighting against the raging wind that is determined to knock her over.

Sokka and I struggled to grip the unmoving bolder in front us, "Well, do it! Before he blows us off the mountain!"

The wind blew, stronger than before. In a sphere of gusting wind, Aang levitated high into the air. Katara faltered, still trying to get as close as she could to Aang. She managed to make her way behind a sturdy pile of rubble. After securing herself there she looked up at the Avatar.

"Aang! I know you're upset and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love. I went through the same thing when I lost my mom.  Monk Gyatso and the other airbenders may be gone, but you still have a family. Sokka, (y/n) and I! We're your family now!"

Sokka and I looked bravely to Katara, firmly believing and agreeing with everything she said.

The wind died down and Aang gently descended back to the ground. His eyes were still glowing so Sokka gave him some more comforting words. "We aren't going to let anything happen to you. Promise."

Katara grabbed Aang's hand. The glowing dissipated and he returned to his normal self. Weak, he fainted into Katara's arms.

"I'm sorry," Aang apologized.

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault."

"But you were right. And if the firebenders found this temple, that means they found the other ones, too," he sadly closed his eyes, "I really am the last airbender."

***

We returned to the sanctuary after getting everything packed up. Aang and Katara we're somewhere amongst the statues. I couldn't hear what they were talking about but I knew they were talking about something important.

I sat next to Sokka, waiting for Katara and Aang. I was ready to leave and find a nice place to take a nap. Suddenly, the lemur from before scurried in and dropped a pile of fruit in front of Sokka.

The lemur crawled on me to rest on my shoulder. "Looks like you made a new friend Sokka!"

Stuffing his face with a variety of snacks he turned to look at me, "Can't talk! Must eat!"

***

Appa sat patiently where we left him when we arrived at the air temple. Katara, Sokka and I stood with the luggage as Aang spoke with Appa and the lemur.

"You, me and Appa; we're all that's left of this place. We have to stick together," He made his way over to us, "Katara, Sokka, (y/n), say hello to the newest member of our family."  The lemur leaped from Aang's shoulder and stole the peach Sokka was about to take a bite of.

"What are you going to name him?" Katara asked curiously.

"Momo."

Sokka was still shocked by the fact that the lemur stole his food. We all looked at him and laughed jovially.

Together we all mounted Appa. I looked back at the temple. In the purple haze of the setting sun, the temple disappeared into the clouds. Thinking back on my past, as well as everything that had recently happened, I looked forward. Appa flew peacefully through the clouds. Together we all relaxed, flying towards our destinies.