The King of Omashu - Part 3

My eyes stung and wind rushed loudly passed my ears. The chute was much steeper than I anticipated and we were picking up speed quickly. Aang was probably the only one really enjoying himself, laughing loudly in front of us. Katara's screams were piercing and Sokka sat silently behind me. As we raced down the slide, our chute pulled up parallel to another. A cart full of sharp spears advanced across from us, matching our speed. We sped in front, passing it, but I saw that just ahead of us, the two chutes merged into one. Oh dear, this actually is the day I die. I was really hoping it wouldn't be!

"Uh, (y/n), could you scoot up a bit?" Sokka addressed me nervously from behind. His warm breath hit my skin, sending a chill through me. The feeling was a pleasant contrast to the bite of the cold wind rushing past us. I turned to look at him, confused by his request. Right behind us was the cart of spears, and it threatened to attack if we didn't move fast enough. I tried to move forward but the wind pushed me back and my efforts were in vain. My heart raced, and I frantically attempted again but I was unsuccessful.

Sokka's gloved hands roughly grabbed my shoulders. He pulled me back so that I was partially lying on top of him. Just as I was being pulled down, I felt something dart passed my head. I looked up and sure enough, had we still been sitting up, we would've been impaled by a half a dozen spears. Sokka heaved rugged pants behind me. His grip on my shoulders tightened, so I grasped his hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

Katara turned around. Frightened by the sight behind her, she screamed, alerting Aang, "I'm on it!"

Aang began rocking the cart. After building up our momentum, the crate smashed through the side of the chute.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

Oh no, oh no! We are falling to our freaking deaths and there's nothing I can do to stop it! I screwed my eyes shut, not ready for what I thought would come next.

Instead of a solid, life-ending impact, we landed on the roof of a house. Roof tiles flying every which way, our crate continued its descent. It made impact with the ground, narrowly missing, what looked to be a group of soldiers. The cart ricocheted off the rocky ground. I grasped the sides of the box, digging my nails into the coarse contraption. I gritted my teeth just wanting the ride to end. My wishing was in vain. I think the laws of physics are playing with us!

"Aang, do something! Use your airbending!" Katara shouted.

Aang seemed too excited for my liking, "Yeah! Good idea! That'll make us go even faster!"

"Uh, I hate to break it to ya, but that seems like a terrible idea!" I shout at him.

We back in one of the chutes, not off-roading and the ride was smooth. Aang used tremendous gusts of winds, propelling us to great speeds. I kept my eyes shut and refused to look ahead. Aang will surely do something to save us if he thinks we're about to die, right?

A series of crashes, rips, smashes, and cracks followed us wherever we went. Although I never saw what we collided with I sure did feel the repercussions of it. I'm sure to be covered with bumps and bruises after this damn ride. Can't it just be over?

Wish granted.

"My cabbages! You're gonna pay for this!"

"Uggh, is it over?" I pleaded. The final impact wasn't nearly as rough as I expected. Whatever I landed on must have cushioned my fall.

I started pushing myself up, "ohh, ow, ow, ow," something groaned underneath me. My hand was pushing down on Sokka's ribcage.

"Oh shit, Sokka, I'm so..," I was looking at his chest where my hand was placed.

"No, it's alright, as long as you're..," he was mumbling.

Our eyes met and I was trapped. My mind went blank. Unsure, my eyes searched his.

"Sorry,"

"Okay," we finished our thoughts at the same time. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I could feel my face flush. I was drowning in a sea of blue. As far as I could tell, there was no way of rescuing me, although I wouldn't mind being forever lost in his eyes. What the hell am I thinking? Being forever lost in his eyes? Bullshit, that's what it is.

"Ahem, if you two would please get up. We're kind of getting arrested now," Katara's voice said in the distance, but I didn't dare tear my eyes from his. Well, maybe it is something more than a bunch of BS. Ok, (y/n), look away. You'll be arrested soon... Why can't I look away? No, I couldn't possibly be. Am I?

...Well, fuck.

*** Hey guys, sorry it's been so long! I finally got a new laptop so I'm going to try to update more! I can't make any promises about how often it will be though.

Thank you all for the support! ***