TWO

I’m not a morning person; I’m more of a night owl. I can stay awake for hours on end, but once I fall asleep and wake up, I’m a zombie for the next hour or two. Sometimes I show up to school after a night of only an hour or two of sleep, sometimes even no sleep at all.

    Even with zero sleep from the night before, I still her every whisper that goes rippling down the halls. This time, it has nothing to do with me or any other outcast. We have a new student. And, according to the whispers, it’s a guy and he’s cute. The fact that everyone seems to like him already makes me want to disappear. If everyone likes him, then he must be like them, meaning that I’ll have someone new to torment me. Fun.

    I don’t even catch a glimpse of this new kid until lunch. I don’t have any classes with him so far, so that’s a relief. I start praying that he has a different lunch hour than me, but then I see him; an unfamiliar cute boy. He looks like he’s a junior, just like me. His hair is spiky and blond, which matches his bright blue eyes. Even though he’s fairly attractive, I don’t think he’ll give me any troubles the rest of the school year. Something just tells me that he’s kind.

    The boy is standing in the lunch line, waiting to get his food when Danielle walks up behind him with Mallory. They both hike up their pants, Mallory’s being skinny jeans and Danielle’s leggings, before tapping on his shoulder. He turns. From my table where I’m eating my peanut butter sandwich, I can just make out their conversation.

    “So, you’re the new kid, huh?”

    “Um, yeah.” He clears his throat, his eyes darting between Mallory, Danielle, his shoes, and something on the far wall. He seems nervous. Maybe he’s just not used to attractive girls talking to him? Actually, I think he’d be used to that. Maybe it’s just the nerves from being at a new school.

    Mallory flashes him a smile. “I’m Mallory.”

    “And I’m Danielle. If you need somewhere to sit today, our table has an open seat.”

    He smiles nervously. “Thanks. I’m Hunter.”

    I tune out the rest of their conversation, not really interested. Danielle, Mallory, Tessa, and Reese usually pick up all the cute new students, taking them in. Everyone who doesn’t really know how mean the group of friends can get think that they’re so nice. It is nice of them to take it the new kids of course, but it’s rude to only do it to the ones they find attractive or will help them somehow. Last year, when a new girl who is super smart moved in, Reese pretended to like her just so that she’d help her with her homework (more like do it for her). Reese ditched the poor girl after she started failing tests and realized that having someone do all the work for her was going to negatively affect her. I just hope that this new guy, Hunter, doesn’t fall for their games.

    After lunch, I have four more class periods. The day drones on as usual, but then when I walk into the Spanish classroom (which is usually empty), Hunter is already sitting down in a seat in the back. He’s actually sitting in the seat I sit in everyday, but I can’t tell him to move because A) that’s rude, and B) I’m socially awkward and would probably end up setting his hair on fire somehow.

    As I slip into a seat, still in the back but a few seats away from where Hunter is, Hunter looks up from his phone. I notice that he has white earbuds plugged into his ears. His crystal eyes meet my dull grey-blue eyes for a second before he blushes and looks back down at his phone. My face burns with embarrassment. Well, that certainly wasn’t awkward at all. What makes it worse is that we’re the only ones in here so far. I quickly take out my back-up earbuds, which are black, and plug them into my phone and then stuff them in my ears. The music instantly calms my nerves.

    I don’t notice the students filling the classroom until my earbuds are ripped out of my ears for the second day in the row. This time, when I look up, it’s Danielle that’s holding them. I realize that class still hasn’t started yet.

    Danielle taunts, “So, whatcha listenin’ to, Emrie?” My eyes dart to my clammy hands. Danielle smirks and leans over, looking at my phone. She lets out a short laugh. “Garth Brooks? Girl, you really are a hick. I’m surprised you aren’t wearing a straw hat.”

    A few students, who are all friends of Danielle, snicker. Tessa, who is standing beside Danielle, adds, “Or cowboy boots.”

    “Or buck teeth,” someone whom I don’t see says. More students snicker.

    I sink in my seat, just wanting to disappear. There’s no book in reach and my music is currently unavailable, so I clench my sweaty hands into fists to calm down.

    Danielle smirks again. “Well, she sure does smell like a hick.”

    Everyone bursts out laughing. I bet my face is redder than a tomato. Tears prick at the edges of my eyes, but I blink them back and squeeze my eyes shut. I can’t lose control now, especially since I haven’t in two months. I can’t lose my streak of being strong.

    I open my eyes when the class bell rings, everyone (still laughing) sitting in seats. I realize that Danielle still has my earbuds and let out a quiet sigh.

    I feel someone’s eyes on me and turn. Hunter is looking at me with a pitied look, but after a few seconds, he looks at the front of the room at Mrs. Sanchez. I do the same.

A/N: Hey hayniacs!! Yall can expect about an update a day, but if I miss a day, I'll probably update twice the next day. Thanks for reading so far! Sorry for the short chapters!