EIGHT

I can’t stay awake in any class. As soon as I sit down in my seat, I fall asleep. Every class goes like this today. I don’t know what, but something happened between Hunter and Danielle, Mallory, Reese, and Tessa. They aren’t all over him anymore. I wonder what went on between them, but before I can think too hard about it, I fall asleep. During lunch, I just plop down at an empty table, lie my head down, and close my eyes. Just before I can fade into a deep and needed slumber, I hear someone sit across from me.

I look up and see Hunter. He’s got his lunch tray in front of him and a few pieces of lettuce in his hair.

He notices that I’m watching him. “I hope you don’t mind if I sit here.”

I shrug. “Not at all.” I hesitate before asking, “Why is there salad in your hair?”

Hunter reaches up towards his blond hair and starts picking off the pieces. “I might’ve made some people upset.”

I quirk an eyebrow in surprise. “Really? What’d you do?”

“Well…” He places the pieces of lettuce from his hair onto the table. “Danielle told me that playing hard to get is kinda hot, and then I accidentally said that I’m not playing hard to get; I just don’t like her. And then all her friends threw their lunches at me. Which, thankfully, was all salads.”

I have to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. “Wow, that’s a bit harsh.” I yawn.

Hunter watches me curiously. “Are you always tired? You’re usually sleeping in Spanish.”

“I didn’t get any sleep last night,” I explain vaguely. “But yeah, I’m usually just tired in general. That, and Spanish is boring.”

Hunter laughs. “Agreed.”

-

When I walk into Spanish class, Hunter’s sitting my favorite seat again. I veer to the other side and sit down silently, getting out my new earbuds that I found in my room. Before I can even lay my head down on my desk to sleep, Danielle, Tessa, Mallory, and Reese strut over. Danielle takes my phone and looks at the screen. She scoffs when she sees that it’s Keith Urban on the screen.

My cheeks heat up as Danielle asks, “Do you ever listen to normal music? Keith Urban is legit trash.”

“Actually, he’s pretty good,” Hunter counters unexpectedly. Everyone turns to look at him. His eyes widen a little and he looks a bit nervous with everyone’s attention.

Mallory rolls her eyes. “Yeah, well, nobody cares, so kindly shut up.”

I furrow my brow. “That wasn’t very nice-”

“You want to know what is nice, though?” Danielle asks in an icy tone. “This.” She steps over to our class pet, which is a goldfish named Ricardo, and drops my phone into the tank. It sinks to the bottom, scaring Ricardo. My stomach drops. I’m going to be in so much trouble for that. Plus, there were over a hundred songs on there.

Reese snarls, “She did you a favor, you know. Trashing all of those trashy songs.”

“Do y’all always act like such-” Hunter’s suddenly cut off by Tessa.

“Y’all? Oh my gosh, you really are a country boy, aren’t you?”

Before Hunter can reply, Mrs. Sanchez walks in. Everyone shuffles to their seats.

“Today we’ll be moving on to conjugations in the present tense…”

I don’t hear the rest of the lecture since I almost immediately fall asleep. Thankfully, Mrs. Sanchez doesn’t wake me up this time. I get woken up with a start from the class bell, signifying that school is over for the day. I start slowly packing my things up.