TWELVE

As soon as third hour lets out, Hunter and I fall into step in the hallway since his class was right across the hall from mine. We walk in a comfortable silence for a while, not having anything to say.

Hunter eventually asks, “So are you coming over after school?”

“If it’s alright with you and your parents,” I reply.

Hunter rolls his eyes. “It’s always alright.”

“Then yes,” I tell him with a small smile. “I’m coming over after school. It’s okay that Haley comes too, right?”

“Of course.” Hunter bites his lip, thinking. “Hey, how’s Haley’s arm? She’s been wearing long sleeves lately, and I keep forgetting to ask.”

I glance at Hunter. “Her arm’s healing. She says that it doesn’t hurt anymore, so that’s good.”

Hunter nods. “So, what happened exactly?”

I sigh. “Please,” I say, “Just drop it.”

“Hey,” he says, wrapping his hand around my elbow to stop me. We stop walking. I look up at him, Hunter looks down at me. His face is completely serious. “You can tell me anything.”

“I know. It’s nothing,” I assure him. Then, changing the subject, I ask, “So, are you nervous about the talent show?”

His face physically shifts from seriousness to nervousness. “Definitely.”

“What song are you doing?”

He shrugs. “Don’t know yet.”

“How about,” I suggest, “Haley and I help you pick it out after school?”

Hunter smiles. “Sounds like a plan.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Hunter and I walk to each other’s classes together all day. We don’t talk much. Hunter actually has his earbuds and phone out to listen to music while we walk down the halls, so he plays some music from his phone as he listens with one earbud in his ear and the other in my ear. Some people look at us oddly, but I try not to pay attention to them. I just breathe deeply and soak in the good music. We listen to different artists like Garth Brooks, Jim Denny, Reba McEntire, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Jimmie Rodgers, Dolly Parton, and George Strait. I mouth the words as a relieving clam rushes over me.

I feel Hunter’s eyes on me as we walk from class to class, but I don’t look back at him, too caught up in the music.

Nothing exciting happens in Spanish class today. Danielle didn’t even look at Hunter or me, nor did she speak to us.

Today might be a good day.

After school, I meet Haley waiting for me at the bench outside her school. She looks heartbroken; tears are welled up in her eyes and her nose is bright red. I immediately wrap her in a tight hug.

“What’s wrong?” I ask after I plant a kiss on her head.

Haley sniffles. “It’s stupid.”

I pause. “Does it have anything to do with a boy?”

Haley looks up at me. I wipe away some stray tears as she croaks, “I thought that Jonathan liked me. He was so nice and we’ve known each other since second grade, so during lunch I asked him if he’d be my boyfriend in front of all my friends and all his friends and he laughed at me. Said that I’m not his type. That I’m too weird.” She breaks down sobbing in my arms as she shakes. “Emrie, am I weird?”

I hug her tighter. “Weird is a good thing, Haley. It means you’re not like everyone else.”

“What if I want to be like everyone else?” Haley whimpers.