FIFTEEN

The hot water hits my scalp first, then pours over my shoulders, then my hips, and then my legs. The heat instantly relaxes my nerves that have started to spike. Steam rolls off the water and clouds at the ceiling above. I stretch my neck so that I’m staring up at the ceiling and then close my eyes, letting the scorching water to beat down on my face. I let out a long breath.

After another half day at the hospital, the police let Haley and I stay with Hunter’s family until they can find a place for us to stay. Haley was ecstatic; now we could play music all the time. Although I’m also looking forward to jamming with my two closest friends in the world, I’m not so sure about living with a boy (whom I like) my age and a couple who I have actually had a real conversation with just the other day for the first time.

Plus, I don’t know what it’s like to live with caring adults. I’ll probably end up ruining everything.

After just standing in the hot water for about an hour, I step out of the shower, get dried off, and then get dressed into some pajamas that consist of fuzzy pants and a loose t-shirt. I take my towel and start to dry my hair with it as I walk out of the bathroom. The sound of Haley and Hunter’s singing instantly catch my attention, so I walk down the hall to the music room.

Sure enough, I catch Hunter and my little sister with smiles plastered on their faces as they both sing together in harmony.

Once the song is over, I clap. Haley smiles over at me as Hunter turns.

“Oh, hey,” he says. “Want to join?”

“Sure,” I reply, sliding next to Hunter on the piano bench. He scoots over so I have more room. “What song are we doing?”

Haley’s hand shoots high up in the air. “Oh! How about a Taylor Swift song?”

Hunter smirks. “Okay…” he thinks for a moment before starting to sing. “You, with your words like knives and swords and the weapons that you use against me.”

Haley leans against the wall and pats her thigh. She sings along.

I play along on the piano, but come on. It’s a Taylor Swift song. I have to sing along.

As soon as my hideous voice joins in, Hunter glances at me. His lips curl into a smile as he sings, but I freak out and stop singing.

After the song ends, Hunter turns to me. “Why did you stop singing?”

Haley cocks her head. “Yeah, why did you?”

“Um,” I say, my cheeks red with a furious blush.

Hunter chuckles and pokes my cheek. “Aw, don’t be embarrassed. You have a good voice. It sounds like a mature version of Haley’s.”

My jaw goes slack. “What? My voice?  A mature version of Haley’s?”

Haley adds, “You’re not bad, Emrie.”

“Yeah, you’re actually pretty good,” Hunter compliments with a shy smile. “You should sing with us more often.”

I press down on a few keys on the piano. “I think I’m just going to stick with the piano.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Lynette calls everyone to bed after Haley and Hunter take showers. Despite the woman’s persistence, Haley and I sleep in the living room on the couch. My head rests on one side as Haley’s is on the other, our feet overlapping. I’ve been given an ice pack from Leo to keep on my stomach as I sleep, which was awfully nice of him.

As Haley and I lie in the dark living room, the only sound coming from the crickets outside and the distant sound of a ceiling fan from somewhere in the house, I realize that sleep won’t come easily. Haley’s already fast asleep, but even after two hours, I’m staring at the blank TV screen.

A melody lofts into the room. I sit up quietly, straining to hear it. At first it’s just from the acoustic, but then Hunter’s voice muffled from the separating walls joins.

Well I’d love to know just what you’re thinking

Every little river running through your mind

You give and you take, you come and you go

You leave me here wondering if I’ll ever know

If you’re gonna be somebody’s heartbreak

If you’re gonna be somebody's mistake

If you’re…”

There’s a groan and a slight thump. Then, a frustrated voice says, “Come on, think!”

I stifle a laugh.

Hunter’s creative side strikes him in the middle of the night, but then it fades and he strikes himself in the head with a table most likely.

I lie my head back down, staring up at the ceiling. Soon after I lie down, I hear the melody again. Hunter sings and pauses every now and then, going over previous lyrics and guitar notes and going through new ones.

I finally close my eyes. Serenity washes over me.

“If you’re gonna be somebody’s heartbreak, be mine.”