THIRTEEN

“EMRIE!”

I freeze. Haley also freezes, glancing at me with a terrified expression. “What’s he want?” Haley whispers.

I shrug. “I don’t know.” It’s in the morning, and Haley and I were still in the middle of getting ready for school. I can’t think of anything dad would be yelling at me for.

Soon enough, his footsteps pound on the staircase. They get louder and louder as he nears. I rush to Haley side, whispering, “Get in the closet.”

“But-”

“Do it,” I command. “He sounds angry.”

Reluctantly, Haley ducks inside the closet behind some clothes. I close the door to the closet before turning around, preparing myself mentally for whatever Dad wants.

The door bursts open, hitting the wall and making a small hole in the dry wall. I gulp. he must be really mad about something. Dad’s face is red, his teeth gritted, jaw clenched, and his fists tight. He storms over to me and grabs my hair painfully. I let out a strangled sound of pain.

“Where were you last night?!”

“A-at a friend’s house,” I tell him.

He slaps my face. A sting follows his contact on my cheek. “Why didn’t you come home and make me dinner?!”

“I-”

He shoves me to the ground. My head bounces against the hardwood floor painfully. My nose makes contact with the floor, blood immediately pouring out as the air is knocked out of my lungs. I gasp for a breath.

“Do you realize how hungry I was?!”

“S-sorry,” I stammer. I look up and realize that Dad is staring at the pictures on Haley’s bed. He picks them up, looking at them with his jaw clenched.

“Who is this boy?”

I sit up on my elbows. “A friend.”

In a sudden burst of anger, Dad rips the picture in half. Haley lets out a cry at the sound of ripping photos, but Dad doesn’t hear her. I thank God for that. Dad rips up all the pictures.

I stand. “Hey, those aren’t yours!” I snap and reach for them.

Dad whips around and takes ahold of my arms. His dirty fingernails dig into my skin, drawing blood. With his strength, he drags me out of my bedroom I share with Haley and towards the downstairs. At first I’m confused to where he’s taking me, but then I come to realization. I start to fight against him, struggling to get free. I kick and writhe in his grip.

“Let me go!” I shout, but to no avail.

Dad shoves me to the ground. “Shut up!” He kicks me once before tugging me back up with my hair. He pins me against the wall, one hand on my wrists above my head and his other wrapped around my neck. His snake eyes pierce through mine.

Before I can pass out from the lack of oxygen, Dad released his grip on my neck. I take in a sharp breath, but it’s short. Dad takes me by the waist and hurdles me at the stairs.

As soon as my head makes contact with the first step, I black out.

~~~~~~~~~~

I blink slowly, the light burning my eyes.

A faint voice calls out, “Emrie?”

My eyes adjust to the light. I open them fully and take in my surroundings. I’m at the base of the stairs still.

“Emrie?... Dad?”

I sit up, wincing. I get a sudden head rush and black spots cloud my vision. I quickly blink them away.