FIVE

School is boring, which is normal. It’s just as stressful as it always is. Reese trips me on the way to Algebra II. I eat lunch. I listen to music through every class. Nothing abnormal happens. That is, not until right after school is over. I slowly walk to my locker and then start to head towards the exit, but a smooth, sweet voice pulls me to the music room. I follow the beautiful masculine singing and find myself staring at the back of the new kid’s, Hunter’s, head as he plays on the school’s piano. He seems to be in some sort of zone as his fingers delicately dance over the keys and he sings.

    Suddenly feeling my presence, Hunter stops playing and singing, turning around. We both kind of just awkwardly stare at each other, Hunter’s eyes wide with panic and mine with fear.

    “T-that…. that was beautiful,” I stutter, finally breaking our deafening silence.

    Hunter looks down at his hands. “Thanks.” He seems so nervous, but I don’t see why; he’s an amazing musician. Plus, it’s only me: Emrie The School’s Nobody. Why should he be the nervous one?

    I wipe my sweaty palms off on my thighs. “What song was it?”

    “It’s called Invisible.”

    Okay, so far so good. I want to leave right then so I don’t have to be so nervous and I can go walk Haley home, but I stay put and say, “I’ve never heard of it before.”

    “I wrote it,” he says, but then his cheeks glow bright red.

    I suddenly want to make him feel less tense, so I try to act casual. Since I’m also extremely anxious, I fail miserably.  “So, you want to become a famous singer or songwriter or something in the future?” That sounds a lot more fun than what I’ll probably end up doing with my life (most likely cleaning out the trash cans and the fryers at McDonalds).

    He laughs lightly, his shoulders slightly bouncing. “Um, yeah. It’s my dream.” He pauses, scratching the back of his neck. “Are you into music? You listen to it a lot, I’ve noticed.”

    I blush. “Um…. I really like music…. but I’m not musically talented like you. At all.”

    He nods. “So, what is your talent then?”

    Whatever confidence I had, which was already slim, deflates. “I don’t have a talent.”

    “Not yet.”

    “Not ever.”

    He shrugs. “You just need to find yourself.”

    “I didn’t realize I was lost,” I reply, leaning against the wall.

    Hunter laughs nervously. “Well, it wasn’t very hard learning to play the piano,” he says suggestively.

    I cross my arms. “My dad would never allow it.”

    “That’s a shame,” he says, glancing at my hands. “Your fingers look like they’re made for the piano or guitar or something.”

    I lift my hands above my face, examining them. My cheeks burn furiously. “Um… I’m going to take that as a compliment?” He smiles, making me smile faintly too. “If you don’t mind me asking, why are you playing in here?”

    Hunter shrugs. “My piano, during the move, broke so I currently don’t have. Since I’ve been deprived of a piano for almost a week now, I’ve been itching to lay again. So, I found this beauty, and yeah.” He shrugs again. It’s kind of cute.

    I suddenly remember that I’m supposed to be walking Haley home from school. “I'll see you tomorrow, Hunter,” I tell him, quickly leaving the room before he has the chance to say anything.