TEN

School is, in a word, torture. Sure, home is also torture sometimes too, but at school it’s witnesses by many other people. At home only Dad and Haley are around, and sometimes Haley isn’t even around to witness the torture.

    I trudge through the halls of this icky Monday morning, my hair frazzled and my mind jumbled. I can’t think straight. I almost trip over my feet and run into walls a few times, but I somehow stay on my feet.

    As I’m headed to my first class of the dreadful day, I spot Hunter. He’s walking down the hall and Henry and Ben, two students whom are known for having that cliche bad-boy reputation, are hanging in the hallway, leaning against the lockers. As Hunter’s casually walking by them, minding his own business, Ben decides to trip Hunter. Hunter falls onto the ground, his books and school supplies flying everywhere. Ben and henry laugh. Hunter slowly sits up, but then Henry pushes him back onto the ground with his foot. I’m frozen in my spot.

    “Hey, pretty boy. Where ya headin’?” Ben taunts, walking around Hunter in a slow and dramatic circle. He spots one of Hunter’s notebooks and picks it up, thumbing through it. Hunter attempts to stand, and when he gets to his feet, Henry shoves Hunter into the lockers roughly by his collar.

    Ben lets out a low whistle. “Wow, just wait until everyone hears about this.”

    Henry looks back at his friend. “What is it?”

    Ben shows Henry a page. “Pretty boy here rights poetry.”

    “They’re songs, actually,” Hunter corrects Ben, but Henry presses his harder into the lockers and digs his nails into his shoulders, shutting him up.

    I come out of my daze and walk over to the boys. None of them notice me.

I clear my throat. “I think that’s meant to be kept private,” I say, clenching my fists as I start to sweat nervously.

All three heads snap to face me. Hunter’s eyes widen a little. Ben smirks, “Oh, are you two dating?” Ben takes a handful of my hair and brings me closer to him. “I can see you two being together. The perfect couple right here. The two hicks!”

“What’s wrong with being country?” Hunter asks. Henry automatically shakes his roughly, causing Hunter’s head to collide with the lockers painfully. He winces.

Ben chuckles. “Nothing, nothing. There’s absolutely nothing wrong.” Ben releases my hair. “Come on, Henry. We’re going to be late.” He winks at me before walking off, Henry trailing closely behind.

I turn to Hunter, who is still standing against the locker but isn’t being held there anymore. He smoothes out his shirt.

“Are you okay?” I ask, bending down to help him pick up his books.

Hunter scoops up his books as well. “Yeah. Thanks.”

“For what?” I ask, handing him his books and standing again. “All I did was get in the way so Ben could pull my hair.”

Hunter smiles tightly. “You intervened. You also got my notebook back.” He pats the stack of books in his arms.

“Well,” I say, “You’re welcome, I guess.”

The bell rings. Hunter closes his eyes tightly. “Aaaaand, now we’re late.” When he opens his eyes, he turns to me. “What class do you have?”

“Chemistry.”

“I have music, which is on the way. Do you mind if I walk with you?”

Hunter’s begging eyes make me give in, even though I wasn’t going to deny him anyways. “I’d love that.”

Hunter and I start down the hall, but as soon as we start walking, my eyes find a very colorful poster on the wall.

“The school talent show? You should enter, Hunter!” I exclaim.

Hunter rubs the back of his head. “Yeah, well, I can’t… I’ve got stage fright, so I’d probably either pass out, throw up, or freeze up on stage.”

I shrug. “Well I guess it wouldn’t have been fair for the other competitors anyways. I mean, with you, there’s no doubt that you’d get first place. Not even a talking dog that can shoot fire out of its butt can top you.”

Hunter laughs. “Thanks.”

-

After school, I hurry to Haley’s school, and then we walk directly to Hunter’s house. His dad is still at work, but Lynette is home and she made cookies. She is the one who opens the door for Haley and I and she immediately offers us some. Haley and I take a handful of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies before heading into the music room.

No surprise, Hunter is playing the piano and humming along when we enter. Hunter continues to play until the song is over. He turns to us. “Good morning.”

Haley laughs, “It’s afternoon.”

Hunter’s eyebrow arches. “Are you sure about that?”

“Yep, I’m very sure.”

Hunter smiles. “Okay. Anyways, what do you guys want to do?”

We end up all playing around randomly. Haley makes up lyrics as she goes, I clap a beat, and Hunter plays along to our chaos with his guitar. We eventually come to an end of our weird song and break into a fit of laughter.

I clutch my stomach, tossing my head back. “Oh my gosh, that was fun!”

Hunter sets his guitar to the side. “Yeah,” he chuckles. “Anyways, do you want to learn some piano? You can sing along, Haley.”

Haley beams. “Guys, we’re like a band. You play guitar, I sing, and Emrie plays the piano!”

I give her a look. “Excuse me, but this is my second piano lesson, thank you very much.”

Haley rolls her eyes. “Details, details.”

Hunter helps me position my hands onto the piano before actually starting to teach me. We go over the chords for the song he wrote before moving onto the melody. I get it down quickly,

“Wow, you’re a fast learner,” Hunter remarks.

I shrug. “Not really. I don’t know why I’m not completely horrible at this.” I run my fingers over the keys delicately.

Hunter smiles. “Maybe you just found your talent: piano.”

A/N:

Super sorry about disappearing, but I’m not dead I assure you! My cousin just came back from being stationed out of the country and he’s on a little break I guess so he’s staying with my family and I’ve been spending time with him. Anyways, I’m still super sorry about not updating in forever! Don’t hate me!