FOUR

The school day goes by fast. I see that new kid again, Hunter, talking with Danielle, Tessa, Mallory, and Reese. Hunter seems really anxious and awkward the entire time. Today, though, he doesn’t eat lunch with them because he claims to have something to do in the library. Being curious and bored, I quietly follow Hunter and slipped into the library as well after stuffing the rest of my sandwich into my mouth.

    Now that I’m in the library, I can’t seem to find Hunter. Where did he go? He literally just walked in here.

    Mr. Diaz, the librarian, smiles at me when he sees me. I smile back. He and I have become sort-of friends, but really he just got used to seeing me in here every day during study hall. I find my escape in books and music, and since Dad thinks that books are a waste of money, I get my books here. I have to return them of course, but I’ve checked so many books out, Mr. Diaz just lets me come and go as I please without having to scan the book. He knows that I’ll return them in good condition.

    I walk on, peering behind a bookshelf. Surprisingly, I see Hunter. He’s sitting against the bookshelf, his eyes closed as his head is lying back against the bookshelf as well. His lips are lightly moving to the music that’s coming from his earbuds embedded in his ears. He honestly looks attractive like that, but I push the thoughts away. I can’t like a popular person.

    Hunter’s eyes open. I quickly make it look like I’m looking for books, taking one off the shelf. I’m about to walk away, but he takes out one of his earbuds and says, “Hey, you’re in my spanish class, right?”

    I freeze. He’s talking to me? “Um, yeah,” I say, my palms became sweaty. I wipe them off on my jeans.

    Hunter bites his lip nervously. Maybe he has social anxiety like me? I doubt it, though; why would a cute guy who could have any girl he wants be socially anxious?

    “Did we have any homework?” he asks.

    I shake my head. “Nope. Test today.”

    Hunter nods. “Okay. Thanks.”

    “Yep.” I quickly turn and walk right out of the library, the random book in my hand still. When I escape into the vacant halls, I take a look at the cover. I smile faintly. I’ve read the book a thousand times, and I love it more each time I read it. It’s called an Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten. It’s very good.

    -

    In spanish class I find that Hunter is sitting in my seat again. I still don’t say anything; I place my stuff on the desk I sat at yesterday. Hunter doesn’t look up, and I’m glad. I think one encounter with a popular person is enough for today. I take out my earbuds and phone and listen to some music.

    When Danielle, Reese, and Mallory walk in, they head straight towards me. My stomach churns. I guess I’ll have to encounter more than one popular person today. I’m already starting to panic. I pause my music.

    Danielle smirks down at me. “Wow, Keith Urban? He’s trash.”

    I feel my cheeks burn. “Oh.” I play with the hem of my shirt nervously.

    She laughs at my response. “Oh? Oh my goodness, you’re pathetic.” The bell rings, cutting her off from saying more. She shoots me an evil grin. “Gotta go sit down. I’ll see you around, Emrie.”

    The entire class I listen to Keith Urban. Mrs. Sanchez doesn’t catch me, thankfully, so I get to keep this pair of earbuds.

    Once class is over, I stay behind, dreading going home today. I’d rather just walk with Haley in the woods like yesterday.

    As I pack up my things on my desk, a throat clears behind me. I turn.

    “Hey,” Hunter says, shoving his hands in his pockets. “So, Garth Brooks and Keith Urban, huh?”

    My stomach does a flip. He’s going to make fun of me. I blush, ducking my head to let my hair cover my face so he doesn’t see. “Yeah.”

    Hunter smiles. “I like them, too. I also listen to Brad Paisley and George Strait.”

    I stare at him, my mouth hanging open in surprise. “Really?”

    He smiles. “Yeah.” Scratching the back of his neck, he chuckles nervously. “Anyways, I just wanted you to know that you aren’t the only ‘hick’ in the school.” He puts air quotes around the words ‘hick.’

    Is he seriously being serious right now? This isn’t a joke, right? A cute guy actually likes country music?

    “Thanks.”

    Hunter and I stare at each other for a few awkward seconds before he clears his throat again. “I’ll see you around… Emrie, right?”

    “Right.”

    He walks out of the classroom, leaving me feeling confused and happier.

    Maybe he isn’t like the other attractive guys at this school.

    -

    “I like this one.” I hold the picture up for Haley to see. She squints to see it.

    “Yeah. I like it too, but I snapped a better version of that… I just don’t know where it went.” Haley steps off the bed and looks underneath.

    Since Dad isn’t home yet, Haley and I are relaxing in our room as she shows me her newest pictures. I really like them all, but I can’t find to see the deeper meaning in each of them that Haley sees and is trying to portray. When I just see a tree, she sees the obstacle of depression. I honestly don’t understand.

    I sift through the pictures, but stop on one. I hold it closer to my face to see it better. It’s the picture she took yesterday of me. I’m a bit blurry because I was in motion, but that kind of adds a little extra emotion into the picture.

    Haley sits next to me again, peering over to see which picture I’m looking at. She smiles when she sees it.

    “You like it?”

    I nod. “I love it.”

    “Thanks, I think it’s one of my best ones. You should pose for me more often.” She snags the picture out of my hand and slips it back into the box where she keeps all of her pictures.

    Her phone buzzes, but she doesn’t notice. I lean over to read who it’s from. “Who’s Jonathan?”

    Haley’s head snaps towards me. “What?” She notices the phone and snatches it out of my sight. “No one.”

    “Sure it is.”