SIXTEEN

“Honestly Lynette, you could seriously open your own restaurant if you wanted to,” I compliment the only mother figure in my life.

Lynette beams. “Aw, you’re too sweet.”

Leo glances at his wife. “When I tell you that you could open a restaurant you tell me to be realistic.”

Lynette narrows his eyes at him. “That’s different.”

Hunter pipes up with a mouthful of delicious food, “How?” He swallows.

His mother rolls her eyes. “Because it I said so.” She takes a sip of water from her glass. “Stop questioning your mama and eat your food, Hunter.”

I snicker quietly, Hunter and Haley, who are on either sides of me, being the only ones to hear. Hunter glances at me and gives me a playful glare, but he ends up smiling. I stick my tongue out at him like the childish person I am.

This is our third dinner with the Hayes family, and it’s fantastic. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. My, Hunter’s, and Haley’s jamming sessions are really fun and I can’t get enough of listening to those two singing. I also can’t get enough of Lynette and Leo’s adorable relationship. They don’t do anything huge, like giving each other big presents or anything, but it’s the small things that occurs between them that prove their love for one another. I want that someday.

I glance at Hunter and immediately blush. For some reason, my mind is telling me that I want a relationship like that with Hunter.

After laughing lightly at something his father says, Hunter glances at me. His laugh falters a bit, but he covers it up. When no one’s looking, he mouths, “Are you okay?”

I blush harder. He must’ve seen how red my cheeks are and thinks that something’s wrong, like I have a fever or something.

I nod and smile. Hunter, unconvinced, looks back to his parents before anyone notices the exchange we just had.

I let out a quiet sigh and push the food on my plate around. Why did I have to fall for a guy out of my league?

~~~~~~~~~~

School feels different, even though technically nothing that went down in my family really affected my school life. I still am teased about my music choices. I’m still seen as a hick and an outcast.

But at least Hunter sees me for who I am.

No one really bothers me at school, which I’m happy for. Hunter and I walk to Haley’s school after ours gets out, then all three of us walk to Hunter’s house across the street. The day whizzes by and before I know it, it’s already five in the afternoon. While Haley and Hunter are in the music room rehearsing for the talent show coming up, I decide to take a shower.

After I get the day washed off my body, I step out of the shower and wrap a warm towel around my body. I start to reach for my clothes, but my reflection stops me in the motion. My eyes widen slightly at the fading bruises on my face and my arms and the cuts and scrapes on my skin. I’ve noticed them before of course, but seeing them after having a pretty decent day just makes me feel so…. hollow.

I quickly look away from the mirror and get dressed. Once I slip on some shorts and a t-shirt, I start towards the door. However, I accidentally ram my side into the counter, making me wince and gasp in pain. My hands clutch at my stinging ribs.

Composing myself, I step out of the bathroom. I make it halfway down the hallway before a sharp pain erupts in my ribs again, making me stop and lean against the wall so I don’t collapse onto the floor. My arms wrap around my middle as I squeeze my eyes shut in pain.

“Emrie? You alright there?”

My eyes snap open, revealing a concerned looking Leo sitting at the table. I immediately stand straight, ignoring the pain, and smile. “Yeah, I’m good. How was your day?”

Leo lets out a low sigh. “Don’t hide your pain.”

“Really,” I tell him, stretching the truth, “I’m okay.”

He raises a brow. “Don’t lie about pain, either.”

Giving in, I lean against the wall. I chew anxiously on my bottom lip and stare at my feet silently. Leo exhales loudly before I hear the scraping of a chair on the wooden floors.

“Here, take a seat.”

I sit in the chair he pulled out for me.

“Listen, even though Lynette and I have only known you for a few days, that doesn’t mean that we don’t care. We do care. And if you’re hurting, physically or emotionally, you need to tell one of us. It’ll probably be Lynette, and that’s fine, since she’s a woman and is good with this kind of stuff.” He pauses. “Emrie, I know that what you and your sister have gone through is horrible, so so horrible, but we can’t change that. We can only help you overcome it. When your days in this house expire and you are moved to a different family, just know that Lynette and I, and Hunter, are always going to be here.”

Through his whole speech I’m trying not to cry, but as soon as I look p from my hands in my lap, my eyes fills with tears. I struggle to keep them from spilling out. “I know,” I say, my voice cracking a little. “Thank you. It’s just…” I clear my throat. “I love my dad. No matter what he said or did or what he’s going to do or say, I will always love him. Even though it sounds a little crazy, I miss him. Just a little.” I bite my lip. “Is that a bad thing?”

Leo smiles comfortingly and pats my hand. “You seem like a smart girl, but you also seem like the kind to love unconditionally. Which is a good thing. But, there are some people out there who aren’t worth your love.”

The statement hits me hard. Not worth my love? Is my dad not worth his daughter’s love? Is that even possible? I mean, sure, he’s hit me and thrown me down the stairs, but he’s provided me and Haley a home in which to live.

But he is sort of a bad man.

Taking a deep breath, I nod. “Thank you, Leo.”

He smiles. “You’re welcome.”