10. Apologizing & Remembering the Past

Maya's P.O.V

No way... T-that can't be him. How did he know where to find me?

"Maya! Please open the door I just want to talk, I promise." He says on the other side of the door.

"Go away! I don't wanna talk to you. J-just leave!" I stuttered and felt the tears coming. I turned around and leaned against the door and slid down it. Hearing his voice brought back the memories of when he broke my heart. It was painful, he was the only guy I ever liked and even though we agreed it was strictly a sex only relationship, I still fell for him, like every girl did. I pulled my knees close to me and cried as he knocked again and again.

"Maya please, I can explain everything." He said against the door.
"Maya... from the moment we broke up I regretted everything I did. I didn't do it on purpose, I swear. I-I was in a lot of trouble back then. I had no choice otherwise I would've been dead by now." He explained and I looked up in disbelief.

I stood up, wiping my tears and opened the door, "You expect me to believe that!? If you didn't sleep with Nicole you would've gotten killed? Spare me the ridiculous story, Xander, you will never change." I rolled my eyes and laughed to myself.

"Let me finish. The guy that I was in trouble with was Dez King, the Don of the city if you will. He was after me ever since my dad left his gang. My dad got shot because of it, once my dad fled the country, I was Dez's next target. But I was trying to be smart and not let Dez know it was me who he was after when I joined, I wanted to join his gang only so I could get to him before he got to me. Nicole, his daughter, found out who I was and threatened to tell her dad if I didn't do what she said. One of the things she told me to do was to end things with you. I don't know how she found out about us but she did. I'm sorry that I upset you, made you angry, made you think that I didn't care because even though it got shown that way, it wasn't true. I really liked you, Maya. I just didn't want to tell you, the whole friends with benefits thing would have ended and if things didn't work out between us we would have ended everything and gone our separate ways. I never wanted that." He explained.

Hearing his story sounded so fake but his face said he was telling the truth. The fact that he liked me too made me feel all happy and giddy inside but reality is that I can't let him back in so easily, for all I know he could be lying and if he wants me back, it's going to take time, I don't trust him.

"Even if I believed you, I don't know if I can look past this or trust you again. I've had to live with that pain, I changed because of it and look where I am now, my grades fell and I got kicked out of my house. I'm staying with my best friend now and it's been so good and refreshing, it's like a new beginning for me. I don't know if I'm ready to step back into whatever we had again." I said and walked off to my room.

"Maya!" He called but I went to my room and shut the door. I laid on my bed and let the tears fall until I fell asleep.

Lucas' P.O.V

I went to check on Maya and seen she had fallen asleep so I left her and went to carry on with the paper work. That guy really is a piece of work, I told him to leave and he's been outside ever since.

I heard what Maya said and if I'm honest, I hope she doesn't take that jerk back, his story doesn't sound real and even if it is, its very movie-ish isn't it? I don't want Maya to cry herself to sleep again, I don't want her to be upset all the time, I want her to be happy... With me, not that jerk.

"Maya please, let's just talk..." He said for the 15th time. I thought he'd leave but no and it's starting to piss me off. I got off my seat, stormed towards the door and opened it up.