Chapter Three

INTO THE WOODS

I woke up to the sound of the train stopping. The loud screech of the breaks on the metal of the rails, hurting my sensitive ears and making me cringe. Danny was up a few seconds after me, bringing me fully awake as he left my side. I picked up the picture frame with my jaws and walked over to him, waiting for him to tell me if it was all clear. He was checking around the boxes that we were sleeping behind, but soon he ran out and looked at the landscape.

The train had brought us to a snowy land that I did not recognize. Calculating carefully, I bunched up my body and prepared to jump. The soft snow of the surrounding area did not look as though there was anything in it that would be harmful to us. I counted to three, letting  myself get ready for impact, like the other day with the window, and jumped. I clenched my jaw, but not too tightly in fear of breaking the picture frame in my mouth.

As soon as my paws touched the ground I made myself move forwards as though I was running. My actions lessened the impact by a lot and I must remember if there is a next time. When I brought my momentum down, I stopped and turned to see if Danny had made it. He was but a few feet behind me, and he didn't seem to have done the same thing as me so he was covered in snow from snout to paws. When he landed, the momentum of the train must have made him roll.

Laughing quietly to myself, I went over to him and nudged him in the shoulder. He glared up at me,  making me laugh all the more, and it's not easy to laugh with a picture frame in one's mouth.  It must have sounded alarming because he looked me over for injury once he got up himself. Shaking the snow from his light brown fur, we both then shot out to the woods.

The dense forest area was not marked by a wolf of any kind, and that made me relieved. My Wolf, however, felt more broken than me; she cared deeply for our parents and I had taken her away from the wolf that was at the party, which she had taken an odd interest in.  Now she was curled up tightly in a ball as though she was protecting something in her middle. She refused to speak to me, no matter how much I tried to coax her to.

Shaking my head at her in frustration, I then focused my efforts in remembering my way through the forest. A stream was located about a mile from the train tracks, a cave with a brown bear and cubs was located three miles east of that stream. Danny and I, running north, passed between the two locations and the snow got slightly thicker. Having to slow down a bit, we came to a small mountain, the trees thinning out slightly in the rocky terrain. 

We scouted the area for a sign of any wolves or cougars but we came up empty. Picking a large rock that jutted out of the ground slightly, and was surrounded by other rocks that looked similar, I tipped my head back and let out a long howl. We were going to take this area as our own for a while, at least until we were sure that we are strong enough to take on all of those Rouges. I warned every animal in the surrounding area, so Danny went off to see if there were any animals that came out to challenge us.

Focusing on the rock in front of me, I removed the surrounding snow with my paws and smelled the frozen earth. Once I found a patch of dirt that would for sure go under the rock, yet still be hidden from prying eyes, I started to dig. A few moments later I heard Danny howl to me, telling me he just killed something, and I licked my lips. I howled back so he knew that I understood and I resumed my digging until he brought brunch over.

When Danny arrived, he was carrying the body of a deer in his jaws, one without any limbs or head. He placed it near me, then went off to get the remaining bits of the deer. A normal Wolf, would have never been able to take down a dear of this size, nor have the strength to carry it back, but my brother and I were Werewolves. We have twice the strength of a normal Wolf, are three times the size of a normal Wolf, and we have the intelligence of humans. If a normal Wolf could run three miles outright without stopping for breath, then we can run seven. If it takes a normal Wolf an hour to get somewhere while running as fast as they could, we take half an hour. Not only that, but we were twice the size of a timber Wolf, our backs reaching chests and necks of an average man.