Chapter Five

LONE WOLF

The next few weeks went by quickly. Soon my pups were walking around the den with their small paws, wobbling around on their legs, too small for their bodies. I made sure to teach them not to go near the edge of the den especially if I was not with them. They were starting to explore their world, but they were still too small to go outside of the den. Angela's leg had healed, however, she seemed to have a tougher time wandering around than her brothers.

Everyday, at noon, I had Danny lay down in front of the den as I searched for a new place for the dens, but be still on our territory. It wasn't easy, but I soon found a suitable tree who's roots grew large and reached far. I dug my new den under it's roots, the advantage being that this den was closer to the stream and farther from the bears.

I made sure to dig out multiple dens as well, and in each den I put a pelt that my pups and I would use. That way, if the fox found us again, it would take it longer to find them and it would give Danny and I more time to get to them. As soon as I had most of our old pelts in each den and new pelts in the new one, I brought my little ones to the new den, not letting Danny touch them yet. I carried Angela and Caleb first, then as soon as I had them deep in the den, for I had made each den much bigger than the last one, I howl to Danny to switch positions.

We ran at the moment my howl died, meeting in the middle, and running past one another so that if the fox was listening, then one of us would catch it. I know that Danny tried to go and catch it, but he lost it's scent at the river. So when I arrived at my den, I was relieved to see that the fox was nowhere to be seen.

When I entered my den, Nathan waited for me exactly where I left him- hidden under the pelts as he slept. He was awake now, but he kept quiet until he knew that it was only me. I kissed him clean, then picked him up gently by the scruff. As I carried him out of the den, I caught the scent of the fox once more, and I growled. The fox showed itself, making me growl all the more as I knew the fox couldn't possibly be alone.

I gently put Nathan down, keeping my eyes on the fox the entire time. As soon as his body touched the ground, the fox attacked me, and I moved so that I protected my little one. With Nathan under me, I kept my movements restricted, but as the fox dodged to my left at the last second, I didn't follow the taunt and step away from my pup. Instead I crouched low over him, and kept my balance as the fox jumped around me trying to get me away from him.

As the fox jumped around, I did what no other Wolf would do: I strategiesed, watching it's pattern. The perk of having two minds in one body focused on protecting one thing; you get quicker to react, quicker thinking, quicker kill. My Wolf focused on defense as I counted the fox's steps. Left, middle, middle, neck, legs, neck, right, legs, middle, repeat. When the fox went for our front right paw, we lifted our paw just enough that it's snout went under, then we stepped on the fox's neck, halting all it's movements.

I growled menacingly at it as it tried to wiggle away, so I increased the pressure on it's neck. Slowly I watched as the fox shifted into a human form; a girl with red hair with black streaks, but before she could get out any more profanities, I ripped out her throat. She was trying to grab my pup from under me with her hands as she cursed me.

Fox shifters were not welcome in the shifter world for all they did was start wars and cause mischief to all those around them, even their own kind. This fox must have been very desperate to have wanted to get at my pups so badly. I checked Nathan carefully, nothing broken and he was not bleeding. I kissed him clean of the fox's blood that splattered on him, and lifted him up again. When I arrived at the dens, Danny was waiting for me with a worried look. I nodded to him as a thank you and went in my new den, happy that my little ones were now completely out of danger.