Chapter Six

THE MOONSTONE PACK

I was currently laying down in my skin, head out of my den and looking at the stars with Danny. I had spent the day with my pups in the field and they caught some mice to eat as I snatched a turkey that came, unknowingly, into the field.

"What are we going to do about that Wolf?" I asked him. Danny was laying down on his back, a fur under his head, and looking up at the moon.

"Well, you could just let him join. He won't hurt us since he has had many chances to try." His answer made me sigh.

"Danny, you know why I can't let him join. We won't be staying here much longer anyways and he will have to find another pack. Might as well save him the trouble and send him off right away."

"Right." He snorted, "So why does he keep coming back, then?"

I threw my hands up; "How should I know?!"

"I don't think there are other packs to join, Kayla. And we're too far north anyways, go any more and it would be inhabitable for a lone Wolf like him." Danny said with a 'duh' tone that tap danced on my nerves. I glared at my brother, but he had already turned back to the stars.

"Do you think... Mom and dad are watching us from up there?" he said it so quietly, that I almost didn't hear him. I swallowed the lump that seemed to form in my throat at the thought of my parents.

"Yeah, I do." I said, "With each passing life, a new star is born somewhere in the galaxy. I'm sure that the goddess has blessed our parents with the honor of being one too."

Danny nodded, and we watched the stars in silence for a while. Our silence was suddenly broken by Caleb crying from within the den, if I didn't go to him soon, all three would wake up. I gave an apologetic look at my brother.

"Well, good night then." I said and went the back into the den when he nodded in acknowledgement. I soothed Caleb quickly, giving him milk, and soon fell asleep in my skin not long after Caleb did.

The next few weeks went by quickly. The snow completely melted and the flowers were in full bloom. It took my heat two weeks and a half to go away and it was painful, but in the mean time, my Wolf and I taught the pups to hunt in their fur and to run in their skin.

I made myself a deer skin dress that I could easily slip into when I am a Wolf to change into my skin, and it did not rip when I change back into my fur. It had arm holes that were big enough for my human arms and small enough not to fall off my body. Wooden buttons -which were surprisingly easy to make- that ran down the front, and it reached the middle of my thighs so that I could fight in it easily, yet still have it cover me modestly.

As soon as my heat was gone, Danny and I started to teach the little ones how to fight in their skins. They were agile and strong, for they were the children of the Dire Wolf Werewolf line such as I. I had to let the lone Wolf into our small pack for he wouldn't give up, even after my heat was gone. So we had the pups fighting him in their fur, but he didn't seem to mind training them, in fact he seemed to love spending time with the pups.

As soon as I was happy that my pups were as safe with the normal Wolf -who we decided to name Kai- as they were with my brother, we started to move to find other Werewolves. My pups could defend themselves well and thus were safe against most other predators, making me very proud of them for only being two years old.