Chapter Eleven

FAMILY

~Kayla POV~

Antagonizing. That is the only word that can describe all that I could feel as I forced my body to stay still. No matter how much I want to open my eyes and see who is standing in front of me, to finally meet my mate, I had to become a statue. Like an artifact put up for offering, my limbs became rigid as I fought against the Wolf inside of me. She fought with tooth and claw, but I somehow managed to keep her in. Eventually the song that everyone was singing became background noise as the smell of my mate grew stronger, until that was the only thing that I could concentrate on. 

My Wolf was whimpering now, but the song stopped a few moments ago meaning I could move so I took a breath. This was it. I slowly opened my eyes to see Dene was standing in front of me, with a hunger in his eyes that sent a chill down my spine. I furrowed my brows as I looked around then back at him again. This couldn't b right; Dene was my mate? I had thought that we were both over twenty which meant that we would know right away if we were mates. 

My Wolf was going crazy with happiness, but I couldn't help but be perplexed. This seemed to be wrong. Dene smiled at me reassuringly.

"Wow," he said, "I never knew that this could ever happen again..."

Confused, I gave him an inquiring look, he shook his head and put his arms around me. He smelt nice, like all the best things in the world put together, but his touch did nothing to me, which confused me all the more. Isn't meeting your mate supposed to be... well, more than this...?

"I'll tell you later," he said into my ear, sending a chill down my spine, not a good one I mean.

He took my hand, no sparks, no untamed desires, and started to lead me out of the clearing. Everyone had gone quiet and was watching Dene and I quietly. There seemed to be less people in the crowd, and I couldn't spot Danny and Hana anywhere. Where could they have gone? Did they take this opportunity to get away together for a bit?  If so, should I leave them be or be cross at them? Even if they had just found each other, they still had their jobs and I don't think Danny would try to get out guard duty. Not after what happened to us anyways.

"Have you seen Hana?" I asked. Dene and I were in the forest now, going towards the house. His eyes held mine, letting me see the lust he has for me.

"No,  I haven't seen her since she left with one of your Wolves further into the forest."

I looked away from him, my Wolf telling me that I shouldn't be so rude to my mate. Think!  I told her, he is hiding something. But she just ignored me and continued to admire the fact that we had such a powerful mate. I scoffed, we're stronger. But I was ignored once more.

"I see," I said watching the tree tops as we walked. The air had gone still, not a single bug was out to preen their wings in the moonlight. Perhaps they were waiting to see if the song would continue again?

"Kay," Dene said, taking my hand, and making me look at him in the process. "I am so glad that you are my mate."

He was looking me in the eyes, trying to show me that he was sincere. But I still am not sure. I looked away, making my hand slide out of his.

"I want to find my Wolves." I said instead, continuing my walk. He didn't miss a beat, and walked beside me.

"Then how about you come with me inside my house?  I'll show you around as my pack gathers your members."