Chapter Four

FOX

Turns out my prediction proved correct, for each day that passed, my Wolf got snippier at Danny for the smallest of things. By the end of the third month, I had to stop practice fighting with him if I wanted to keep my pup. My appetite only grew as I got bigger and bigger.

Soon I couldn't join Danny on hunts or leave my den very often. By the end of the fifth month, I had a watermelon belly, so I had to stay in my fur constantly. But it did not help for my poor brother, who only wanted to help. He would leave food at the entrance of my den, dancing away when he gets too close, then off he went to get more food and keep the small territory.

I loved him for being able to do so much for me and at the same time take such abuse from me. I don't know what I would have done without him, other than starve. So when my sixth month came, I knew that my Wolf was getting ready for birth because we kept on moving everything around in the den. Making sure that it was one hundred percent pup proof. It was soft, cozy, warm and my pup was not going to be hurt.

I often, found my Wolf thinking of the male that I had us leave behind. If he were here, then she would be allowing him to share this experience with us, be in the den to give us comfort. That was the last thing we thought of as we fell asleep, the second last day of my sixth month. I would be giving birth any day now.
I woke up in a cold sweat, my fifth day into the seventh month. It was time. I felt the waves of my contractions hit me, making me whimper. I stood, unable to be still and paced around my den, growling at the pain. I know Danny heard me because I heard his padded feet outside my den, but I couldn't be bothered with chasing him away right now. I knew that he would protect me as I growled and whimpered, pacing all the more in circles.

"Is it time?!" I heard Danny say to me as I heard him shift into his skin. I felt him pacing outside my den, and that did not help to put my nerves at ease, so I growled at him to go do something useful instead.

"Oh no... it is time isn't it?!" I could hear the hysteria raising in his voice, "What should I do? What should I do? My sister might die! Don't die on me!!"

He just kept on talking, taking my mind off of my next painful contraction, but making me more irritated. I half growled, half barked at him to be quiet when suddenly I knew it was coming. I spun and spun in my den, pushing at the same time, growling and whimpering. With a cry of pain, I felt warmth on my back legs as I lied down to rest for a moment.

I brought the little one on a soft rabbit pelt and freed it from me. No sooner had I done so, I got up and got ready to push again. I wasn't done yet. Twice more I pushed and I finished, exhausted, with three beautiful pups whining around me. My pups were born in their furs, as all werewolves are, and they would not shift into their skins until they were nine months old.

Since my pups Wolves had to accommodate their human half, their Wolf bodies would be growing much slower than that of normal wolves. By the time that they were nine months old, my pups would only look as though they were a few weeks old. I sighed as I lied down around their small bodies, linking their fur clean and making sure that they could breathe.

All three of my pups had wonderfully soft fur once I had them clean. I now had to think of names for them, as my Wolf and I felt proud over what we accomplished. Triplets! Two boys and a lovely girl. Both of my boys had dark grey fur such as I, with a white patch on one of their legs like a sock, but my girl had dark brown fur mixed with black paws and snout. The three of them snuggled up to me, searching for warmth and food, and I gladly let them go through the soft fur of my underside. Perhaps my small pup took after her father's Wolf, I thought as I put my head down, planning on falling asleep.