Chapter Eight

MATES

I followed Nick out to the waiting room again, the pups chasing each other in circles with a dizzy Danny in the center. When he saw me, he flattened his ears shamefully and put his head down and his tail wagged slowly behind him. He was sorry for not staying in the hall with The pups and was asking for forgiveness.  I gave him a hard look, making sure he knew I was not happy, and called my pups to me.

They stopped chasing one another and came to me happily, wagging their tails and panting slightly. They seemed to stumble over one another as they made their way to me, nipping at each others tails and ears as they went. But when they saw my look, they stopped and came more quietly, the reality of not knowing this area settling into their steps once more. I gave the lot of them a stern look, then turned to Nick.

He jumped from his spot in surprise and went around me to lead the way to the pack members house. We soon made it outside and made our way down the road of the town again. Nick turned towards the seventh house that we were passing and made his way to the door, knocking twice and waiting for the reply.

After a minute, a woman came and opened the door, smiling at Nick in greeting. Even before her eyes met mine in recognition, I had already knew who she was. I smiled a greeting at Hana and she gave an odd smile back, putting curiosity on her face as her eyes spoke of her knowing me.

"Who might this be Sir?" she said kindly, keeping her voice in curiosity. But I knew she was only playing the formalities since that was exactly what I had asked of her.

"This is Kay," Nick said, "would it be alright if she stayed with you for a couple of days?" I saw he fighting a smile, and that had me fighting my own as she looked at me doubtfully.

"Will I be alright?" she asked, her eyes going back to him.

"Yes, quite. She and the Alpha have struck a deal, and they are bound to obey it."

Hana did not fight her smile then as she opened the door the rest of the way, allowing me room to get in with my pups and the other two. Danny seemed to be agitated as he stood beside me, eyes locked on Hana, but she seemed too engrossed in the euphoria of the situation to notice.

"Come on in then," she said, standing as side for the lot of us to enter. As she soon as she moved, Danny rushed into the house, brushing against her legs as he went. Hana noticed him then, turning her head as he went by, eyes glossing over and breath quickening. In a moment, I realized what was happening.

I watched in amusement as I saw my friend start to realize what was happening to her. Her eyes darted from the direction that my brother had gone to me, allowing me to see how scared she was. She should not be afraid of him, but after two years it was no surprise that she did not recognize him fully. Feeling bad for my brother, I steered my pups and Kai into the house so that Hana could close the door behind me.

As soon as the door closed, Hana grabbed my hand and pulled me towards an empty room. I did not like being pulled away from my little ones, but I knew that Danny and Kai were with them, so I capped my displeasure and waited for Hana to speak. Her eyes looked frantic as she looked at me with many mixed emotions.

"Kay! My Mate!  He was with you this entire time?" she said, sounding a bit offensive, as if I had been hogging him. "Who... who is he? What's his name and his pack? I need to know!"