Chapter 1

Glendale, California, 1968

Charlotte sat back in the deckchair pulling her cardigan around herself, for all the sun was shining there was a definite chill in the air. The icy atmosphere between John and Darlene only added to it.

"So do you think Judy will go to Brad's funeral?" Darlene asked Charlotte as she studiously ignored her husband John.

Charlotte frowned, taking a sip of lemonade as she contemplated the funeral of their old friend. Another life lost in the Vietnam conflict, what a waste.

"Judy would like to go to the funeral," she said as she looked out into the distance. "Obviously, like is the wrong word. But she doesn't think she'd be very welcome after the way she dumped Brad back when she was in college."

"Oh come on!" Darlene scoffed. "Does anyone even remember that, much less care?"

Charlotte shrugged. "Probably not." It was all so long ago, she doubted Brad's family held it against Judy, especially as he was hardly the innocent party in their break up.

"You're seeing her later, just tell her to go. She'll regret it if she doesn't."

Charlotte nodded but she knew Judy was feeling sensitive about the whole situation. She watched as Darlene sat back and lit a cigarette, she inhaled deeply with a defiant look in John's direction.

"Should you be smoking that in your condition?" he asked looking pointedly at her stomach, his disapproval clear.

"He's right," Charlotte said thinking that at five months pregnant Darlene really shouldn't smoke. These days everyone knew it wasn't the healthiest of habits although she hadn't managed to quit herself.

"Yeah well, they help keep me calm," Darlene said, flicking her dark hair over her shoulder. "God knows I've had enough to contend with lately." She caught John's eye and he turned away sheepishly.

"Can I get either of you girls' another drink?" he asked ignoring Darlene's gaze.

Charlotte shook her head. "No thanks, I've got to head off soon. I have an appointment with Dale at four." Their old friend Dale Townsend was now a lawyer to the surprise of no one and he was handling her divorce.

Darlene pulled a face. "Make sure you get your money's worth. I can't believe he actually bills you, under the circumstances. Can you Johnny?"

"Oh, umm, I dunno to be honest," John said as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat and Charlotte regretted mentioning Dale. Obviously, anything to do with the Townsends' was a sore point nowadays.

"To be fair, It's not Dale's fault I get billed," she said choosing her words carefully. "He's just an employee and he's not charged me for half of what he could have. He's given me a lot of his time out of the office quite freely."

Darlene snorted. "I wouldn't expect anything less from a friend." She turned to John. "I wish you'd get another job. I hate that you work with Rosalind's dad, there's gotta be other construction projects you could work on."

Charlotte had to agree it was a bit too close to home. John working with Ros Townsend's dad had to be awkward for all involved.

John sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I am looking for another job," he said his brown eyes flashing with irritation. "But Jake's a good guy and a good foreman, I like working with him. And it's not like Ros comes and hangs out at the site." He laughed as if he'd said something funny but Darlene remained stony-faced.

"Well, even I wouldn't hang out at a building site," she said testily. "But you're missing the point."

"I'm not, some of the guys' wives and daughters bring their lunch down."