Chapter 50

"One last kick around and then we'll head home," Louis said to Jamie, throwing the ball to him. They'd been in the park for a good couple of hours while his mom and Charlotte's were visiting the baby. So far, both women hadn't got over the novelty for having a new grandchild and their steady stream of visits was becoming suffocating.

"Do you think the grandmas' will have gone yet?" Jamie asked holding the ball to his chest.

Louis crossed his fingers. "Hopefully, then we can all have a bit of peace."

"Until the baby starts crying," Jamie said, and Louis was not sure if he heard a hint of resentment in his voice.

"He'll save that for the middle of the night," he said jovially. "Once we're all asleep the wailing will start."

"It's okay," Jamie said with a half-smile. "He doesn't wake me up, or not for long anyway."

"That's good, at least one of us is getting a decent night's sleep." He and Charlotte were treading extra carefully with Jamie; they were well aware he might feel insecure, especially when they had no idea what Nick might be whispering in his ear.

"Lou?"

"Yeah?"

Jamie looked up at him with a serious expression on his face. "Are you and mommy gonna get married?"

Louis shoved his hands into his pockets, playing for time. "It's funny you should ask that." He contemplated the boy, mindful that the past few months had to be pretty confusing for him. "Would you like us to?"

Jamie bobbed his head. "Well you are living together and you have a baby, and Junior was saying..." His face went red.

"I dread to think what Junior was saying." He chuckled under his breath, "Whatever it was, don't repeat it to your mom."

"I won't, pinkie promise." He looked up at Louis again, pushing his wavy brown hair out of his eyes. "But are you going to get married?"

"I'd like to." However, convincing Charlotte was another matter so he'd dropped the subject when they'd had more pressing things to deal with. "Would you be happy if we did? I know one thing for certain, your mom wouldn't marry me if you were dead set against it." Okay, he hadn't planned on asking Jamie for his permission but it probably wouldn't hurt to.

Jamie grinned. "I think you should get married, and not just cos Junior...I think it's a good idea. I think mommy will be happy if you ask her."

"I hope so." Silently, they walked out of the park while Louis mulled over popping the question to Charlotte.

"So will you ask mommy when we get home?" Jamie suddenly said, his voice brimming with excitement. "Have you got her a ring yet."

"I have, as it happens." 

"So are you gonna ask her today?"

Louis cleared his throat. "I think I should plan it properly and wait for the right time."

Jamie looked up at him, disappointment etched on his face. "But you said you've already got her a ring. Why are you waiting unless you don't want to get married and you're scared to tell me the truth?"

"It's not that," Louis said quickly. 

"So why not ask her now?"

Why not indeed, Louis thought as Jamie eagerly awaited his answer. He'd waited for the right time once before, and he'd spent years regretting it. There would never be the perfect moment. "Okay then," he said putting Jamie out of his misery. "Let's hope your mom says yes."