Chapter 23

Darlene inhaled sharply as another contraction took hold. They were definitely getting longer and more regular, and she was regretting that she hadn't called Charlotte earlier to come and look after Junior.

"Do you want me to try and get hold of Doris?" John asked as he rubbed her back trying to soothe her.

"No! Lottie will be here soon enough and it'll be hours before the baby comes." Hopefully. She breathed out slowly as the pain subsided, swatting John's hand away. "Besides, Junior will be happier with Lottie, he'll have Jamie to play with too."

"I guess," John said looking towards the clock, his eyebrows furrowing. "I hope she's not getting the bus, I think she said Sam would drop her off but maybe I should go get her?"

"No, she'll be on her way already." She knew Charlotte wouldn't delay, and they'd planned months ago for her to look after Junior if she went into labour on the weekend. "And if she is late, well I always fancied having a home birth."

John visibly paled at her joke. "Don't even think about it, you need a hospital, and a doctor, and drugs."

"I know," she said sighing. She so wanted the baby to hurry up and come but she didn't dare think too much about the hours ahead or the days ahead cooped up in the hospital.

"I think that's the door," John said quickly striding across the living room.

Darlene strained her ears to hear. "Thank god," she muttered as she heard John greeting Charlotte and Jamie. 

"Hey panic over," John said his face relaxing as he ushered Charlotte into the living room, Jamie following shyly behind her. "We were beginning to think you'd got lost."

Charlotte frowned slightly putting her bags down. "You called less than half an hour ago and I had to get my stuff ready."

"Ignore him," Darlene said rolling her eyes hoping Lottie wasn't offended. "You know what a stress head he is. Anyone would think he's having the baby."

John grimaced. "Can we get going now?" He grabbed her bag and took a step towards the door. "I don't want to be delivering this baby."

"It'll be hours," Darlene said again, trying to ignore the contraction that was building up. "Now Lottie, just help yourself to anything you need."

"I was going to ask if I could use the phone," Charlotte said sounding on edge. "Only I was supposed to meet Dale this afternoon so I was hoping to call him instead."

"You don't need to ask. What's mine is yours." She giggled despite herself. "Well, not Johnny. Keep your hands off him."

Charlotte laughed. "You have nothing to worry about there."

No, I don't. I can trust Lottie even if I can't entirely trust John.

"Enough with the yakking," John said, his impatience clear. "Junior come and say goodbye to your mommy." Their son came into the living room, a curious expression on his face. Darlene reached out to hug him and he looked up at her warily.

"What's happening, mommy?"

She made herself smile despite her discomfort. "The baby's coming so I've got to go to the hospital. By this time tomorrow, you'll have a baby brother or sister."

"Oh, okay," Junior said pulling himself out of her grasp. "Hey Jamie, wanna play football." And before she could say any more the two boys were running out of the room. She guessed it was a good thing that he wasn't unduly concerned.

"You should get going," Charlotte said, her voice flat. "I'll take care of things here."

"Great, thanks." She reached out to hug her and for a moment Charlotte was rigid, before hugging her back. "I'll see you when the bump has landed!"