Chapter 7

Darlene sat with John at the wake quietly observing her surroundings. All around her people seemed to be getting drunk and maudlin. Brad's parents hadn't had a moment to themselves and she was amazed that his mom especially was still greeting people with a smile. As for Brad's friends, they were all huddled together, laughing as they recounted old stories; some half embellished, some downright lies. She tuned them out, her eyes darting over to Rosalind and Dale. She was more than a little bit pleased to see they were sat by themselves, stony-faced; all of their friends giving them a wide berth.

Good, Rosalind deserved to be publicly humiliated. The bitch had no right to be there.

"Look at her over there with her nose in the air," she said to John, her mouth turning down.

"Who?" he asked feigning ignorance.

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Ros. Your slut, your bit on the side."

John's face froze and she watched him closely for any telltale signs that he still liked her. Loved her even.

"She ain't my anything," he finally said his face grim as he gave Ros the briefest of glances. "She never was." He reached out to her, his arm circling her waist, or what was left of it.

"Good, let's just keep it that way," she said resting her hand on his. He nodded and she turned her attention elsewhere. She recognised plenty of her old high school girlfriends but none who she was particularly close to. Most of them had drifted away when she'd got married and she couldn't blame them, she had been obsessed with John and the baby they were having. Still, it was no loss, she knew who mattered most to her now.

"Hi," Charlotte said appearing at her side. "I've been looking for you."

Darlene grimaced thinking she hadn't been looking for them when she was at the church seated with Ros. "I thought you were occupied with their royal highnesses." She narrowed her eyes looking at Rosalind.

Charlotte laughed nervously. "Dale just gave me a ride here." Her fingers knotted together. "That doesn't mean I'm taking sides but he is my lawyer when all is said and done. I can't jeopardise that."

Darlene sighed feeling guilty as Charlotte's voice faltered. "I know none of this is your fault, Lottie, but it doesn't change what his wife did." Beside her, she felt John shuffle uncomfortably.

Well too bad, he deserved a moment or two of discomfort, it was nothing compared to her suffering.

"I understand how you feel," Charlotte said looking down, her fingers idly playing with her bracelet.

"Hey, I didn't mean to guilt-trip you. You've gotta do what you've gotta do." Darlene took a deep breath getting into her stride. "Once you get your divorce over and done with you can cut them out of your life like the rest of us have. In the meantime use Dale, he's gotta be good for something." She pushed aside the feeling of shame that bubbled up inside her, Dale was as much a victim as she was.

Charlotte opened her mouth but no words came out.

"Come on Darlene, give her a break," John said irritably, dropping his hand from her waist. "She's been through enough, she doesn't need to be brought into our problems."

Darlene flushed. "Our problems? We didn't have any until that slut threw herself at you."

John's eyes flashed with anger and Charlotte took a step back. Darlene could see the tension in her face and it brought her back under control. Admittedly she'd had her problems with John, and she probably always would, but it in no way compared with what Charlotte had endured. Maybe she should count her blessings, she could do a lot worse.

"Let's not go into it today," she said quietly, forcing herself to smile. "Why don't you keep Louis company, he kinda looks abandoned." She inclined her head in Louis's direction, he was stood by himself at the bar, brooding.

John instantly responded to the change of subject, reminding her that at least they were on the same wavelength. "Come on, we should all go over. I could do with another drink."

That wasn't quite what she had meant but John had taken her hand, pulling her away leaving, Charlotte to reluctantly follow along behind them.

"Please don't embarrass me," she whispered, tugging on Darlene's sleeve as they drew closer.

"Of course I won't, silly," she said trying to give her a reassuring smile.

She had to wonder what Charlotte was thinking sometimes, no way would she push her in Louis's arms. A Vietnam veteran going through god knows what was far from her idea of potential boyfriend material. Charlotte needed somebody stable, reliable, boring even. She knew she was possibly being unfair - she hadn't felt unduly concerned when she was alone with Louis - but Charlotte was different. She had a past with Louis and she was vulnerable in a way that Darlene never would be.

                                                            ~~~

Thank you for reading, please consider voting to get this story out there.