Chapter 6

Charlotte adjusted her hat as she sat in the back of Dale's car, trying her hardest to ignore the conversation that was occurring in the front seats. She couldn't believe she'd been dumb enough to accept a ride to the funeral from the Townsends, she'd make damned sure she lost them at the wake.

"I don't think it's a good idea for me to go to the funeral," Rosalind said, her voice carrying to the back of the car. Despite herself, Charlotte listened more keenly.

"We've been through this before," Dale said, his fingers drumming on the steering wheel. "You can't hide away, and Brad was our friend too. It would be disrespectful not to go."

Rosalind let out a sigh. "He was John's best friend. Or one of them."

"So John will be there. If I can face him then you certainly can."

Charlotte felt couldn't help feeling sorry for Dale, he could hardly relish the idea of running into John Lombardo. Not only did he have to deal with the pain of his wife's affair, but he'd been publicly humiliated as well. Just when she thought the conversation was finished, Ros cleared her throat.

"There's Darlene to think about as well." She turned her pale blue eyes onto Dale, her look suggesting he was being unreasonable.

He briefly glanced at her before turning his attention back onto the road. "If I recall correctly you didn't think about Darlene when you were sleeping with her husband."

Charlotte recoiled hearing the anger in his voice but she couldn't say she blamed him. In the front seat, Rosalind let out an exaggerated sigh.

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm sorry?" she asked bitterly. "Don't you know how much I regret what I've done, I'd do anything for it not to have happened?"

Dale gripped the wheel tightly. "But it did Ros, and I'm trying to forgive you but it's not that easy. So if I can face everyone at the funeral then so can you."

Ros nodded and they continued the remainder of the journey in silence. Charlotte breathed a sigh of relief when Dale parked on the roadside outside of the church. He got out of the car, walking around the back of it to open her door, studiously ignoring Rosalind.

"Thanks," she said, pretending not to notice he'd snubbed his wife. She looked at the people milling around outside the church. "I guess we should go straight in, it looks like quite a turnout."

"Yeah, he's more popular in death than in life," Rosalind said sardonically. "People are such hypocrites."

Dale glowered at her. "Very true."

Charlotte strode forward trying to put a bit of distance between herself and the Townsends but they remained close behind her. She passed more than one old friend from high school and got no more than a cursory nod in reply to her smile and brief hello.

Quelle surprise.

When she'd first returned to Glendale some of her old friends had got in touch but she'd fobbed them off fearful that her husband would disapprove. The few friends who had met Nick's exacting standards - the dutiful wives of career-minded men - had dropped her when her marriage broke down, almost as if they feared it was contagious.

She stepped into the church and instantly spotted John and Darlene sat in a pew at the back. John mouthed 'hey' before facing forward again, Darlene, however, scowled as she looked past Charlotte's shoulder. She didn't need to turn around to know Rosalind was standing behind her.

"Let's sit over there," Dale said indicating to a pew on the opposite side of the church and Rosalind hurriedly sat down.

Charlotte didn't blame her, it would be the height of bad taste to have a catfight at a funeral. She tried to catch Darlene's eye wanting to apologise for being with Ros, but then that she caught sight of Louis sat with Judy. As if sensing he was being watched he looked up and she felt her face heat up. She smiled tightly before quickly taking a seat next to Dale.