Epilogue

One year later

"You may now kiss the bride."

Charlotte looked up at Louis expectantly, and after a pause, his mouth met hers. She relaxed into the kiss, forgetting about the people around them. It was only the small splattering of applause that brought her back to reality as the priest declared them man and wife.

"Are you happy Mrs Kinsella," Louis said looking down at her, his arm still around her waist and his face breaking into a smile.

"As if you have to ask," she said giddily with excitement. "I don't think I've ever been happier." She looked at their assembled guests. Jamie was hiding his face in his hands and Junior was making gagging motions. They'd got something right if the kids were grossed out.

Louis squeezed her hand. "I've never been happier in my life. I love you, Lottie."

"I love you too," she said leaning into him for one last kiss, and a ripple of applause erupted around them. 

"I never knew so many people were rooting for us," Lous said looking at the crowd that had gathered. It was supposed to be a small ceremony but once their moms' had got wind of their plans it had quickly escalated. Everyone from aunt Hilda twice removed had been invited.

"Yeah, there's no backing out now," Charlotte said a smile playing on her lips. "You're stuck with me now, Mr Kinsella."

He looked down at her smiling. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

                                                                            ~~~

Charlotte looked down at her hand entwined with Louis's as they entered the wedding reception their moms had insisted on throwing for them. Banners and confetti streamed the place, turning the dull church hall into something like a celebration.

"I know you hate this sort of thing," she whispered to Louis, and he raised her hand to his lips.

"But you don't." He slowly kissed her hand, his eyes lingering on hers. "So I can put up with it for your sake."

She let out a small laugh. "I wish I didn't feel like you were doing it under sufferance."

"I'm not, I've got you. That's all that matters."

She let herself relax. Louis didn't play games with her, if he said he was happy then he was. Not like Nick, always acting up to the crowd. She pushed the thought of her first marriage out of her mind, her ex-husband wasn't going to ruin one of the happiest days of her life. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

"Oh my god, just look at you guys," Darlene said rushing over and pulling her into a hug. "I'm so happy for you, I could burst."

Charlotte disentangled herself from the embrace. "I'm glad you could make it, I don't think we'd be here without you." Her words were sincere, Darlene and John had been her rock.

"Don't be silly," Darlene said with a tinkly laugh as she straightened her hat, just the slightest hint of false modesty .

"What was that?" John looked around, his face mock-serious. "No way would they have got together without our input. Charlotte would never have taken Lou on if I hadn't have put a good word in her ear." They all laughed while Louis pretended  to be offended.

"I guess I'll have to take you out for a drink," he said while Charlotte rolled her eyes.

"Too right you will." John looked at him grinning. "And you might have to step up when Darlene and I renew our vows."

Darlene gasped. "What are you talking about?"

"It'll be our tenth anniversary in a few years, I thought we should renew our vows."

"Um maybe we should discuss it nearer the time," she said chewing her lip. "Much as I appreciate the sentiment." She leaned forwards and kissed him, silencing any objections he might have.

"Awkward," Louis whispered in Charlotte's ear and she grabbed his hand pulling him away.

"John's trying to make amends but it's going to take time," she said with a sigh. "I don't think I could forgive so easily."

Louis smiled down at her. "You'll never have to. I can't promise I won't piss you off or be a jerk, but you'll never be at home alone wondering where I am or who I'm with."

She raised a finger lightly to his lips. "I know and I won't be. I trust you implicitly."

"And I you." He let out a laugh. "And I possibly don't even know what that word means."

"Oh, Louis." She reached her arms out pulling him into an embrace. "It's you and me forever."

"Always," he said, his lips meeting hers.

                                                                       ~~~~

Thank you so much for reading. A spin-off from this story, 'Growing Pains', takes place in 1979 and tells the story of Charlotte's first marriage from the viewpoint of her son Jamie.