Chapter 26

Charlotte was seriously impressed when Louis parked up at the hotel, the huge building imposing on the landscape behind it.

"Louis, how can you afford this?"

"Relax, I've lived like some sorta hermit for the last six months." He shrugged self-consciously. "Well, until I met you again, so I've got the money."

"Even so, I don't like to think I'm taking advantage of you," she said as she stepped out of the car.

"You're not, I kinda wish you would," he said tongue in cheek. "One thing though, as far as anyone here's concerned we're married, I thought they might be a bit funny with us otherwise."

"Right." She looked around warily, instantly feeling like she was doing something wrong. "We could have got separate rooms."

"They didn't have any left." She pulled a face making her disbelief clear. "But at least you're wearing your wedding ring if anyone does get suspicious."

She looked down at the ring on her left hand, the sun shining off it. "Oh this isn't my real wedding ring, it's just a ring I've got. I wear it so the parents at school don't gossip about my marital status, the ones who don't know about it that is."

His face broke into an easy smile. "That's a good idea, your private life is none of their business."

"I hope you've told your mom that."

His smile faded. "Of course I have." He opened the trunk of the car taking their cases out. "Look Lottie how about we don't talk about my mom, or your ex, or anything else that might spoil our time here."

She nodded, regretting dampening the mood. "I can agree with that. For the next few days, we can pretend that none of them exists."

He picked up their cases. "Okay, let's get checked in."

                                                               ~~~

Charlotte walked over to the window in their hotel room, taking in the sea view as the sun was setting. The scenery couldn't have been more perfect.

"We didn't have to come back here after dinner," Louis said locking the door behind them. "If you wanna go out for a drink or something I don't mind."

She stepped away from the window, and holding her arms out she spun around, luxuriating in the space. "Are you kidding? I want to make the most of this bedroom." He grinned and she playfully slapped him. "I meant the most of this space. I'm used to having barely two feet between Jamie's bed and mine, and having to fight to get into the wardrobe."

He chuckled. "If you say so, but anyway I'm glad you approve."

"You make it sound like I'm difficult."

"And how can I answer that without digging myself into a hole."

"You can't," she said. "But seriously Louis, thank you for all of this." It was way beyond anything she'd expected, anything she could have afforded for herself, and she probably did not deserve it. She turned back to the window feeling overwhelmed.

"You're worth it," Louis said appearing behind her and resting his head on top of hers.

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"I'm going to go in the shower," Louis said as if sensing she needed some space. "If there's a knock at the door it's only room service, I ordered us some drinks."

"You are totally spoiling me," she exclaimed finding her voice again. "How is it that you haven't got a girlfriend?"

"I think I've answered that question before," he said giving her a pointed look. "I'll be right back."