Chapter 8

“Hey Tom!” Shannon called, releasing Maddy and turning over her shoulder. Maddy couldn’t help but feel very vulnerable, as she was alone again.

            “Yeah?” Her friend’s muffled, deep voice reached her, clearer to her because of her keen senses. Maddy’s heart skipped at the sound of another of her friends.

“Come look here!” Shannon replied, her eyes glistening as she looked back at Maddy. Maddy’s grin grew, excited to see her friend’s reaction.

Heavy footsteps echoed through the hall, and a silhouette appeared. Maddy stayed still as the shadow grew, Tom’s face gradually emerging from shadow.

The footsteps stopped as he paused.

“Maddy?” his voice was confused, but nothing could mask the tinge of excitement that shone through as he stepped closer.

“Mads!” he breathed a sigh of happiness and contentment as he hugged her. And he started to laugh.

His chuckling was contagious, and soon Maddy and Shan joined in as they all hugged, their joyful giggles rising up to the stars.

Tom looked up, and his dark eyes studied the shadows in front of him.

“Mr and Mrs Smith!” he smiled as his eyes fell on his friend’s parents. His eyes travelled to the right.  He smiled, and his grin was reflected on the face of the person he was studying.

“Jana!” she nodded, and joined in the hug.

The four stood for a few minutes.

But then Shan started to shiver.

“Hey, what am I doing, making you all stand out in the cold?!” she said, her domineering side coming out, whilst her eyes travelled over her friends, her gaze finally falling on Maddy’s parents.
"Yeah, that sounds good." Replied Emma, rubbing her hands together as she smiled.
"Agreed." Maddy stuck her hands under her armpits as the cold struck.
The group walked through the door one after the other. The golden light was warm and inviting and Maddy sighed as the door clicked behind them.
"My parents are just through there." Said Shan, and gestured to the door at the end of the corridor. Emma and Dan nodded, taking the hint to leave. Maddy, Tom, Shan and Jana stood still and waited for the quiet slam as the door shut, telling them it was safe to talk freely. They slunk into the room closest, and collapsed on the bean bags which were strewn on the floor.
Maddy marvelled at the lilac walls, and was pleased to feel at home again.
"So, what brings you back here then?" Shan asked, leaning forward.
"Well, actually Shan..." Maddy began tentatively. Shan nodded, beckoning her on.
"We were wondering if you knew where Rhydian is?"
Shan and Tom looked at each other, Shan biting her lip. Shannon was worried about how depressed her friend must have been, to come back just for her friends.
Maddy's heart started to thump, as she didn't know what the gesture was.
"Mads, the Vaughns have moved house."