Chapter 30

Sitting round Maddy's bed was better than crowding round the crisp sheets of the hospital beds. And Maddy didn't care that it was Rhydian who needed the support, because he was alive and that was all that mattered.

It was good that the whole thing had been a bit of a blur, because Maddy didn't want to remember, really. The way they had to lift Rhydian and clumsily haul him back to her house, before driving to the hospital  - "freak accident with glass" they explained to the nurses - whilst making sure they wouldn't take a blood test (she's not entirely sure how they managed that), and him getting stitches and medicine (and the agonising, slow turns of the clock as Maddy waited). But now he was home, and awake, and talking. So Maddy was happy. 

The others had left, with only her, Rhydian and Ceri remaining. The room was comfy and aired, a light, brisk breeze rustling the pages of her text book. Rhydian and Maddy's hands lay intertwined on top of the checked bed spread. 

"So, those nights, they were basically training me? To become some kind of monster?!" 

"That's right." Ceri nodded. "The remedy they used to make you forget it was a simple concoction. A clever plan, really."

"And what exactly WAS the plan? What happened to her out there? It definitely wasn't Maddy fighting out there." Rhydian pitched in, wearing his baffled expression. 

"Whilst searching their camp, our healers found some kind of adrenaline enhancer."

"Enhancer?"

"It made your fear stronger, more dominant. Made the wolf terrified and defensive."

"So anything which attacked her, she'd attack back!" Rhydian thought out loud with realisation. Maddy's mouth formed an "O" as she understood. 

"Like what that hunter gave Shan!" Maddy added eagerly. Ceri nodded again, the edges of her mouth turning up. 

"I suppose so."

"How did I escape it?"

"I believe it was just a case of remembering who you were and who you were really meant to be scared of. You handled it well. They underestimated how strong you are." She added. 

"And what about the Eolas? How did that happen?" Rhydian quizzed, squeezing Maddy's hand. 

Ceri shrugged helplessly. "We don't know about that, I'm afraid. I can just guess it was because you sensed their familiarity."

Maddy nodded, smiling gratefully up at her. "Thanks."

"That's alright. I'll leave you two to it."

Rhydian glared at her as she left the room, but it fell as he turned to Maddy. Pulling her closer, she shuffled onto bed, wrapping her arms round him. 

"You alright?" He caressed her hair. Watched the way her eyes sparkled as she looked up at him, how her lips turned up in a grin. Felt the butterflies when she kissed him. 

"Couldn't be better."

"Really? I need some hot chocolate."

Maddy laughed, and hit him lightly. 

"Oh shut up, you!"

"What? I need a hot drink." He looked at her with pleading eyes. 

"Nah uh." Maddy was finding it hard to resist, but she just cuddled closer to him, sinking into the soft bed. "I'm comfy. I don't want to leave ya."

Rhydian considered for a moment. 

"Fair enough. I am irresistible." Another hit. 

"In a minute I'm going to go and make that hot chocolate, and pour it over you."