Chapter 12

Maddy nodded slightly, joyful tears coming to her eyes. Rhydian's eyes also seemed to glaze over. He took a small step forward, and stopped, his breath tickling Maddy's forehead. He had grown.

They stood barely centimetres apart, staring awkwardly at each other. Maddy's arms hung limp at her sides as she stared at him. He was here. He was standing right in front of her.

Maddy wasn't sure how they would meet, a hug perhaps, a story telling session over a cup of hot chocolate, but all of that left her. She didn't know what to do.

Shannon, Tom and Jana stood quietly and began to walk away, but Maddy and Rhydian didn't notice.

They stood for a few more minutes before Rhydian began to speak.

"You're back?" His voice was barely a whisper, a mix of disbelief and some uncontainable happiness.

A single quiet laugh escaped Maddy's lips, and Rhydian smiled. He smiled properly for the first time in two years, he let himself relax as emotions took over.

His shaking fingers brushed a strand of hair from her face, and pulled her into a hug. The warmth from his fingers still lingered on her skin.

They both clung tight, never wanting to let go again.

The tears were flowing freely now, and Maddy nuzzled her face into Rhydian's broad, comforting shoulder.

They embraced for a few minutes. Maddy's tears soon disappeared, but her eyes remained shining, partly from the tears, and partly from the happiness and love that seeped through her system.

They released each other, and Rhydian took a step back to look at her. He smiled, and Maddy grinned back.

"You really came back for another date?" He joked, and Maddy laughed, her heart beating fast, wolf side running freely.

The reference took her back to the hardest day of her life. And the tears came back.

"I meant what I said, that day." Maddy spoke softly, and gazed up at him.

"I know" Rhydian replied as he leaned in, and placed his lips against hers.