Chapter 28

I woke up next to Chrissy and Emma in the living room, and upon sitting up, I saw that the crew plus JJ had fallen asleep in here. My head was howling in agony and I imagined that the others’ would be too, so I crept into the kitchen, wincing at the mess there was and found us some Advil and water.

After taking the miracle pills I began to clear the mess away, slowly putting the red solo cups into many bin bags. Just after I’d put the last cup in a full bag, the crew walked into the kitchen.

“Oh, you’ve just finished, we were about to help you as well” Carter said to me in fake sympathy.

“Something tells me that that is one hundred per cent a lie” I retorted, rolling my eyes at his laziness. The crew took their tablets and drank their waters. Then, we began the job of putting the house back together.

When midday came, we had finished clearing away.

“Well, I best be off, I have to surf” JJ said with slumped shoulders.

“Can’t you stay?” Chrissy pleaded with big puppy dog eyes, vaguely I remembered the arguing last night, but I couldn’t remember what it was about. JJ shook his head and left the clean and tidy house.

“I think we should all get dressed and go see a movie” Carter muttered, trying not to hurt our heads by talking loudly. We all nodded and went off into our separate rooms, the girls all came with me, to get come fresh clothes and then they left to the other bathrooms to shower and do their hair and makeup. I, on the other hand showered and pulled on jeans and a tight black T-shirt, leaving my face bare and hair to dry naturally. I waited for the others to get ready, scrolling through my newsfeed on my phone, there were loads of thank you messages for throwing such a good party and there were also a lot of pictures I’d been tagged in of dancing and drinking.

Eventually everyone came downstairs and we piled into the cars.

“Déjà vu” Tyler muttered under his breath.

“Yeah, man. This time last week, we were partying hard in Vegas” Jack reminisced.

“Actually we were sleeping about now” I corrected from the passenger seat, Carter, who was driving laughed at my correction whereas Jack scowled at me through the rear-view mirror. We soon arrived in downtown Seal Beach, and Chrissy lead the way to the movie theatre.

When we got inside, there was a choice of two films that Chrissy gave us, Scream 4 or The Vow I voted for scream, as did all of the guys, and all the girls voted for The Vow, Scream won.

“I hate scary movies” Chrissy whined at no one in particular.

“What flavour of popcorn do y’all want?” the girl behind the ticket asked us after she’d handed the tickets over.

I said “salty” at the exact same time Tyler said “sweet” which made the girl chuckle.

“Hows about, I give y’alll one of each?” she drawled in a Texas accent. Tyler and I nodded and continued to ignore Chrissy’s whining as we wandered into the theatre. We sat right at the back and at the top of the tiered part so we had the best view. Sadly we weren’t the only ones in there, so I couldn’t make Chrissy scared. I had to behave.

After the movie, we headed back to the house, it was only early, and so we all went up into my room, because apparently it would be the tidiest.

“You need more pictures on your wall” Parker observed, there was a big bare patch on my wall that I had purposely left free of band posters and pictures of friends at home, it was empty so I could put picture of the crew up.

“Let’s decorate it then” I suggested, it would be something everyone could get involved in, and it would be fun to do. Visibly everyone brightened at my suggestion, and we soon had everyone organised into jobs, Chrissy and Parker were choosing the pictures, Alexis and Jack were collecting the pictures when they’d been printed, Emma, Jess and Matt were cutting them out and Tyler, Carter and myself were putting them up onto the wall.

The sun went down and the crew decided they should go back to their homes and parents since we were all tired and their families probably wanted to see them. After hugging everyone goodbye, I went back up to my room to look at the wall now it was finished.

Pictures of the crew covered most of it; our trip to Vegas, nights on the beach, surfing, random pictures in school, the party last night and many more pictures of things we’d done together.

The weight if the party, so I changed out of my clothes and fell fast asleep.

We were in the car, driving along the road. I was fourteen and had long blonde hair that sat on my ribcage, in fact I was examining it right now whilst my parents were congratulating me on the dance competition I’d just won. I wasn’t listening to them though, I was hoping my crush, Marco, would see the video I was about to post on Facebook.

“Charlotte, listen to us please!” my mother scolded and turned around, she wasn’t driving, so it was fine for her be turning around. I still didn’t listen to her though, I was desperately trying to see if Marco was online and had liked the video yet.

“Charlotte!” my father exclaimed, still I paid them no attention, I was reading the comments from all of my friends, I was popular at school and I knew it. I was pretty much the queen bee.

My father’s torso twisted as he leant over to snatch my phone from me, but I quickly pulled it away from his grasp, smirking triumphantly. I felt the car swerve on the road; I didn’t look up from my phone though. And then suddenly there was a burst of blinding light, and a loud noise. My vision clouded over with black spots and I heard my mother screaming.

The same dream, again. It kept coming back to me and I hated it, I rolled over and fell back into a fitful sleep, full of ‘what ifs?’ and ‘whys?’.