Chapter 34

After the long and tense car journey, we each silently went our own way upon arrival at the house and I went straight to bed, along with the boys as we were all exhausted from the day’s events.

Monday was a fairly standard day, and by Tuesday, I was bored. JJ and Tyler still hadn’t spoken to each other, and I was forecasting another thunderstorm to erupt between them at any moment. The tension in our group was obvious, even for the people who don’t acknowledge the elites, and worried glances were often and frequently cast in our direction as we strode around the school, emitting a strong sense of power and supremacy.

The building tension finally came to a head in second lesson; Spanish with Tyler and Matt.

The teacher was warbling on about the verb ‘ir’, making the class recite the verb’s endings; voy, va, vas, vamos, vais, van. “so, how’s JJ?” Tyler hissed in the midst of reciting his verbs.

“Fine?” I responded questioningly, I didn’t understand why Tyler was asking about him, maybe it was because of their fight.

“You spend loads of time with him now” he muttered under his breath, not expecting me to hear him.

“Awwww, is Ty-Ty jealous?” I cooed, poking his surprisingly firm cheek.

“No” he retorted with a grin, batting my hand away from his face.

“You are! Aren’t you?” I exclaimed, making Senora turn and glare at me.

“Maybe” Tyler replied with a smirk on his face and a glint in his eye.

“Aww, I’m sorry Ty-Ty, we should do something together then” I suggested, feeling bad that I’d ditched my first friend from California.

“How about we skip the rest of the day after Española?” Tyler questioned in a bad attempt of a Spanish accent.

“Si senor” I responded. After another twenty minutes if going over the same bloody verb, the bell released us from our pain.

“Meet you at Starbucks?” I asked as we left the classroom.

“Just come with me” Tyler suggested.

“As much as I would love to go on a motorbike again, some idiot dared me to be girly, which caused me to have to wear skirts. And that idiot obviously didn’t realise that when you wear a skirt on a motorbike, it will blow up, showing the entire world your underwear!” I ranted with a smile and sarcastic tone to my voice.

“Oh, who cares?” and with that, I was swiftly thrown over Tyler’s shoulder and carried out of school to prevent any further protest.  Thankfully no one saw me being practically abducted as the students were all in lessons, like good little people. My train of thought was broken as I was gently placed on Tyler’s motorbike. At the front of Tyler’s motorbike, not at the back.

Turning around on my seat, I asked “What?”

“Well, I figured you’d want to drive” Tyler responded with a grin, eagerly I nodded and turned the key that was already in the ignition and the engine sprang into life. Tyler wrapped his arms around my waist tightly and I sped off out of the school parking lot, and down the road in the direction of the well-known coffee shop.

After I’d stopped the bike in the car park of Starbucks, Tyler hopped off from behind, and I swiftly followed him as strolled into the predominantly empty shop.

“What are you having please?” the lady behind the counter asked us.

“I’ll have an Americano with soy milk and a shot of vanilla, medium, and a triple chocolate mudslide muffin please.” I asked with a smile.

“And I’ll have the same please” Tyler added with a smirk and a wink at the female barrista.

“Geez, you can’t go anywhere without flirting with someone can you?” I asked with a laugh.

“Nope” he replied popping the P, whilst fishing his wallet out of his back pocket, I went over to the big comfy seats by the window and plopped down, immediately sinking into the soft, inviting cushions.

“So, what do you want to do this afternoon?” Tyler asked, sitting opposite me with a tray of drinks and cakes in his hands. In response I shrugged and grabbed my coffee, slurping up the incredible loveliness.

After finishing my drink, I had an epiphany of an idea; suddenly remembering the skateboard I’d purchased on the day I flew out to LA. “Can you skateboard?” I asked shyly.

“Yeah, why?”

“Could you teach me?”

“No”

“Why?”

“Because”

“Because what?”

“Just because”

“Fine, I’ll just get JJ to teach me!” I snapped, it was a low blow, I knew that, but I wanted to skateboard, and by bringing JJ into things, I knew I would get my way.

“You mean John-John?”

“Yeah, it’s my nickname for him.”

“He has a nickname?”

“Yeah”

“Son of a-“

“So, you’ll teach me?” I asked with a smile, cutting him off mid-rant.

“Fine.” He snapped. “Let’s go”. I silently followed him, like a dog following its master and hopped on his bike. Tyler drove angrily, cutting the corners on the roads, and going as fast as humanly possible whenever he could. We quickly arrived at the house, and the motorbike stopped so suddenly that I fell forward into Tyler’s muscular back and ricocheted straight back off, and fell into the hard concrete ground.