Flat Party with Booze

"You're only just on time." Grunted the Oaf.

"Sorry." I said.

"Yeah," said Shane, "Ever so sorry."

And we collapsed into fits of giggles because, for some reason, that was hilarious.

We trained two or three times a week day and twice over the weekend. It was intense, but it was so worth it. I loved playing football. And now I got to do it everyday.

The Oaf ignored mine and Shane's laughter, and turned to the group as a whole.

"Twice round the pitch warm up. Parker and Felix stay behind."

They all ran off but Felix and I stayed.

"Have you read it yet?" He asked us.

"Nope." Felix said.

"I can't say that I have."

"Why not?"

"I haven't had time." Felix explained.  

"Yeah, I said, "Me neither. I was too busy having lunch."

"And a shouting match." Muttered Felix, low enough for only me to hear.

"I need your answers now." The Oaf said, "So I'll give you the basics. We want to enter two teams into the league, 11-a-side and 4 reserves for each team. We want you two to be captains."

"So why are there 1,000,000 clauses?" I asked, I thought it was a valid question, but he ignored me.

"Clause 70 states that you will both be the captains of the teams. You will have complete control over them."

"And 71?" Asked Felix.

"71 states that, unless authorised by a panel consisting of myself and other key members, you will not be able to have a relationship with anyone on your own team, or the other."

"What?!" Felix and I both shouted. He had a massive and obsessive crush on Jennifer.

"You heard what I said."

"And what is the chance of it being authorised?" I asked.

"In the case of you and Shane?" He replied, "Quite high. So long as you can provide a significant enough case for it."

"So?"

"So you and Shane should be fine. However, they aren't the only two clauses. There's another 80 odd. They all describe how you should behave as a captain, and explain how, if you break the rules, your status will be terminated."

That was a lot to think about. Did I agree? Did I say no? There were pros and cons on both sides. If I said yes, I'd be able to say I was the captain of the oxford university football team, but I might have to break up with Shane. If I said no, I wouldn't be bound by any rules, but who knows who they'd choose in place of me.

It wasn't a straight forward question, and I had no idea what to do.

Felix was obviously just as stumped as I was, because he didn't say anything either.

"So what do you say?" Asked the Oaf.

"I honestly don't know." I said, "That's not an easy decision."

"I know." He admitted.

"Do you need it right now?"

"Ideally yes."

I sighed. I couldn't tell him. I'd need to speak to people first. Well, person. Shane.

"You shouldn't hold such high ideals."