A Loss

I woke up and Dylan was in my bed. Again. He'd stayed round mine every night since we had been picked up by the police. I couldn't deny that having him by me was comforting.

My alarm had gone off especially early as today was the day of try outs! Matt was coming back, and I was excited to see if I knew anyone else that was trying to join the team.

After I'd got home from the police station last week, Matt had kicked off. It was safe to say he wasn't a big fan of Dylan. Even though I was his older sister, he was massively protective of me, and all he'd seen of Dylan was the bad side. Their only meeting had ended in my arrest. I did want them to get on, so today was important for me.

I hadn't told everyone else about what had happened. Because there were no charges against me, the police hadn't contacted the university. Coach, and the rest of the gang, had no idea what had happened after Matt and I had gone for lunch. It took a hell of a lot of bribing, and some mild threats from Dylan, to get Matt to keep his mouth shut.

We hadn't done anything last night for my birthday, Dylan and I had just gone out for dinner. I decided it was better that everyone was fresh for this morning. Tonight was a much better night to get drunk. We all knew that Matt was going to get in, I mean I'd have a say in it given that I was captain, there was no one I'd choose over him. Besides, we'd have no goalkeeper otherwise.

I shook Dylan awake.

"Jesus," He said, rubbing his eyes, "Do you never lie in in the mornings?"

"I've got things to do." I Said, "So you can leave or give me a lift to the pitch."

He rolled his eyes, but sat up. Usually when I woke him up early, he ignored me, rolled over, and went back to sleep. So this, while admittedly not an ideal reaction, was much better than it could have been.

"Kel, you know I've got things to do. You can walk with Jen?"

Then it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"You can't take ten minutes out of your day to drop me off?"

"Not this morning I can't, and you know that."

I did know that. He'd made it very clear that he had business to take care of, and that it was best I didn't know about it. I still wasn't really involved in his other life. I knew it was going to come eventually, he'd also made it very clear that if I was going to be with him I needed to become accustomed to it. But we both knew that we weren't close enough for that yet. I felt closer to him than I ever did to Shane. It seemed pathetic, but I thought that I could really love him. Not like I did Shane, more than that.

"Fine." I said, "But when I get jumped on the way there, know that you could have stopped it."

He looked at me, and it made me want to take it back. I didn't enjoy making him angry at this time of the morning.

"Shut up." He hissed, "You'll be fine. You know I've got you covered."

"I know."

I felt small. I shouldn't have dug him out like that. It was unfair.

"Don't throw that in my face again." He warned, finally starting to get out of bed, "Go and shower and get ready. I'm leaving in 10 minutes." 

"Yes dad."

By the time I'd got myself ready - a vest top and pair of tracksuit bottoms, as per - Dylan was ready as well.

"I won't let them hurt you, Kelly." He said, as he walked out the door, "I really won't."

"I know."

"You're so important to me."

"I know."