Chapter 16

"Well, hello there." A voice says from behind me.  

Stiffening a smidge, I turn slowly to see a tall man with eyes the color of warm chocolate and chin-length, chestnut hair so dark it's almost black that has a slight wave at the ends, framing his face perfectly. He has enough facial hair that it's a little more than subtle, but it's not enough to be overwhelming. His full, pink lips are smiling over at me, and his athletic build tells me he's one of the new knights - well, he's just signed up to be at least. We'll see. 

I roll my eyes and continue my perusal of the assorted fruits in front of me.  

"What, not going to answer?" he asks, stepping closer as he practically oozes with charm and confidence.  

I simply shake my head and gather up a few apples for myself - the green ones, because they're the best. As an afterthought, I grab a couple of the red ones for Merlin - his favorite. He never has time to come out here to get them himself and he'll be glad for the treat.  

"So...what's your name?" the guy asks, startling me a little. "I bet it's something refined and maybe a little exotic. Like Jezebel or Elizabeth...maybe not the last one." 

"Why are you still here?" I ask, trying not to be rude - but he's making this a tad difficult. 

"Ah, she speaks. I am simply looking to find a beautiful woman's name." He says, obviously trying to impress me. 

"Well, you'd better hurry up and find her before she gets too far away." I say, quickly handing over some coins for the fruit.  

"Ah, I don't think she'll get too far." he says, following me as I make my way back toward the castle - I need to change before training starts.  

I can already tell he's gonna try again, unfortunately for him Arthur's headed this way with Leon. 

"Hello Kierlan!" Arthur says cheerfully, smiling over at me before I am able to warn him not to say my name.  

"Knew I'd get it somehow." The man says from behind me - I can tell he's a little stunned though.  

"Head out to the practice fields and stop flirting with everything in a skirt." Leon says with an overly large smirk. 

I bite my lip and start to make my way inside. "See you out there!"  

I fix my chainmaille and loose cotton pants before making my way onto the field - funny, I don't remember actually changing. Of course, as soon as I look up I see all the new recruits and mentally groan as soon as I lay eyes on him. At first, he's smirking but, once he notices my attire, that look is wiped away by utter confusion. The satisfaction that look gives me makes me smirk in response. Take that! 

"There you are!" Arthur exclaims, walking over to me. "Okay, test-time fellas...Gawain, you're first."  

I watch them expectantly and frown when I see him step forward. Pursing my lips, I sigh and take a few steps into our make-shift arena. 

"So...who gets to be my lucky opponent?" Gawain asks, clapping and rubbing his hands together in anticipation. 

"That would be Kierlan." Leon says, chuckling at the stunned look on the men's faces. 

I smirk as I pull my swords from their sheaths and take my place in the center of the field. I hold the weapons in a way that suggests I'm-not-ready and maybe-not-that-good-because-I'm-a-girl, and wait patiently. Of course, I'm completely on guard and ready for anything he may try.