Lover, Liar

Girls (and guys!): You're nearing the very end of my first Wattpad book, and I want to thank you so seriously for reading it. I've been deeply heartened by those of you that have regularly voted and commented, and want to let you know that your thoughts matter a LOT! After I complete this book, I'm circling back to the beginning to write a second draft (and possibly a sequel). I'll be reaching out to some of my most dedicated readers to get your opinions/ideas/thoughts for what comes next for Sam and Logan. Thank you, thank you! xx -c

---

If I had expected everything to be better after Sam's announcement and our subsequent meeting in MacMillan 202, I am sorely mistaken. Real life, as always, has harsher plans for us. Here's what I hadn't counted on:

1. Ryder had been dragged forcefully into the legal and ethical maelstrom of my life with Brandon's and Jared's recorded admissions, which meant

2. the not-so-quiet rumors about the assault, and the boys involved, now had to be dealt with. By the school, the police, me. And

3. that particular bomb landing on Carr's doorstep? Not exactly something he was willing to let blow up in his face.

They come for us, thankfully, after Sam's laced up his Vans and I've just tucked my wild post-sex hair under one of his many trucker hats.

"Still a thief, then," he teases, swinging an arm over my shoulder as we move toward the door.

"A thief of your heart," I counter, pulling a face to apologize for the juvenile joke. Sam's eyes light.

"Couldn't have said it better myself," he agrees. And then the knock.

Sam's hand is outstretched for the knob, and he glances at me, both of us knowing in a sudden, ugly swoop what's coming. I brace for Coleman's apologetic grin, beckoning us to Carr's office. When I'm ready, I nod to Sam, who has straightened his shoulders in preparation for what's coming. He closes the gap between his hand and the knob, pulling the door open to reveal Headmaster Carr.

I swallow a gasp of surprise. We're in deeper than I thought if Carr's in the dorms to collect us. Sam seems to agree.

"Damn." He lets out a low whistle. "Must be serious if they sent the top dog himself."

I'm startled by the anger in Sam's voice. As far as I can tell, Carr hasn't done a whole lot to merit the malice. But Carr doesn't seem fazed. Or shocked.

"Mr. Evans," he says, then, glancing around Sam to me, "Miss Grey. I'm here to escort you both to my office. Now."

I take a step forward at the request, but Sam puts his hand against the barrier of the door, keeping me back.

"What about Trent and Weaver?" he demands.

"They're being dealt with."

I think it's very judicious for Carr to reply to Sam in this way, as if he's not a delinquent who just hijacked the school microphone to spout a bunch of accusations and confessions of love, putting Carr in a really bad position.

"Raffi and Nick?"

"Sam," I groan. "Come on."

Sam acts like he doesn't hear me, repeating his question at Carr, who's watching me with something like a question on his face.

"Them too." Carr says finally, redirecting his attention to Sam.

"Okay then." Sam drops his hand from the doorjamb and holds it out to me. I'm surprised by the gesture, but moved to the point that I can't contain my smile. I slide my fingers into his and he gives me a gentle squeeze. If Carr notices, he pretends not to, turning and leading us out the dorm, into the weak November sunlight.