THE BOARDERS: 43

Lo

Your truck is at Ott's. Come get it. There's a present inside.

I read Sam's text three times. It feels like a trick. Why would he take my truck? Why would he take it to Brandon's? And, more importantly, why the fuck would he do either of those things only a few hours after the shit that went down last night?

I read the text again. It doesn't make any sense. But neither does the fact that I'm tucked into my bed, in MacMillan, wearing my clothes from last night with Sam nowhere to be found.

I suppose it's possible he did steal my truck. But then...why Brandon's? And what kind of "present" is he referring to? I slip out of bed, crossing to my desk and digging into its drawers in search of my truck keys. I'm not surprised when I don't find them, though an unsettling feeling is starting to fill me. Something feels wrong. More than wrong, actually. Dangerous. The flare of worry that lit in my stomach at the message on my phone has spread in the time since I first saw it, as my WTF? text remains unread and unanswered.

Without a better option, I call Jared. He answers on the second ring, his voice laced with worry.

"I'm fine," I say before he has a chance to ask. I don't really want to talk about last night right now, but I'd really like a ride to Brandon's. His surprise at my request is evident.

"Are you in your dorm?" He asks.

"Yeah." I glance at my reflection in the mirror, my shirt hanging limp from one side beneath Sam's flannel. "But I need five minutes."

Jared and I agree to meet in the boarder lot and I hang up the phone, changing quickly into a clean pair of jeans and a long-sleeve shirt before heading out the door.

At his car, Jared gives me a long look. "You're sure you want to go to Ott's place? Now?"

I grit my teeth. Both Jill and Spencer are still unreachable at their tennis tournament, and Jared has proven himself to be a pretty wonderful human in the past few days. The least I can do is give him an explanation. I hold my phone out, allowing him to read the message from Sam.

"Why would he...? Oh, fuck." Understanding settles over Jared's face.

"What? What are you thinking?"

Jared shakes his head, unlocking his car and jumping into the driver's seat with renewed vigor. "I'm thinking we should probably get to Ott's ASAP."

I'd known that Brandon and Mrs. Ott had moved out of our old neighborhood after Mr. Ott left, but I've never been to their new house. It takes longer than I expect to get there and I have to physically restrain myself from slamming my hands on the dashboard as Jared slows at yet another yellow light. Jared's nerves are melding into mine now; I can feel both of us coiling with them as the drive continues.

When, finally, we turn onto a wide, desolate side street, I sit up straighter, looking for the hulking shape of my old truck in all of the driveways. I don't see it until we're practically at the cul de sac. It's parked haphazardly, pulled half onto the curb before a house I know, without a doubt, is Brandon's. I may not have been here before, but the sparse patio furniture is the same as it was at the old house and there's...an energy about it. My heart sinks; I'm suddenly terrified.

"Lo, don't. I'll go." Jared places a hand over mine as I move to unbuckle my seatbelt.

"Why? What do you think it is?" The worried expression on Jared's face is scaring me.