THE BOARDERS: 51

Lo

"Tell them to go 'way," I slur into Sam's shoulder. I'm half-asleep, surprisingly exhausted from my first orgasm, and the persistent knocking at the door is ruining things. "I just need ten more minutes and then I'm ready to go again."

Sam chuckles, kissing my forehead and tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "I think you slept worse in the hospital than I did, Lo. Might as well give into it."

"But I wanna have sex," I mutter, already drifting back to sleep. The knock comes again, more fervent this time, and Sam untangles himself from me, sliding out of the covers.

"Noooo," I whine, missing the warmth of his body the moment it's detached from mine. I lift a hand, hoping to find his fingers and pull him back to bed with me, but the rustling coming from across the room clues me into the fact that he's changing, pulling on a pair of pants.

"Just a minute!" he shouts, as the knock comes yet again. A woman's muffled voice calls from the hallway and I can hear Sam cursing as he looks through the peephole.

"Who is it?" I ask, my sleepiness turning to wariness at the tone of Sam's voice.

"Just my mom. I'll be right back."

Sam opens the door and steps out, and I can hear him greeting a woman. But my spine prickles when I hear her voice. I know it well, and I never expected to hear it on this side of the Mississippi. Not since we left Salisbury all those years ago.

I toss the blankets aside and dart around the room, finding my t-shirt, bra, and underwear, and pulling them all on. I have a moment of panic before I find my jeans pooled at the bottom of the bed and slide those up my legs. I check the mirror, running my fingers through my hair. I look thoroughly fucked, and I race to the bathroom, tossing water on my face to try to wake myself up and appear a little more normal. Sam's mom has made it clear that she knows there's something between us, but I sure as hell haven't told my mom that, and the last thing I need is for her to start asking questions about my love life as soon as I see her.

When I determine my reflection is as good as it's going to get, I take a look through the peephole. Sam, Ms. Evans, and my mom are standing close together in the hallway, the two mothers discussing something with Sam. He doesn't look happy.

I sigh, giving myself one last moment of peace, before pulling open the door.