THE BOARDERS: 35

Sam

Yeah, I'm an asshole. We've been over this. But it helped to see the flash of anger and hurt on Somers' face, reminded me this damn game of tug-of-war isn't exactly one-sided. It isn't right—it's not normal—the way Somers and I circle each other like predators, each of us snapping at the other to see who will back down first. Watching her open the door to Jared, knowing they were really going through with the date? That shit tugs at my brain all fucking night, and the minutes drag. Staying sober enough to drive Molly's ass home from some Salisbury meathead's party (part of the deal to keep her acting as my date throughout) is not helping.

Thing is, I'd been certain Somers and Weaver would make an appearance here, but it's nearing 9:45 and I haven't seen either of them yet. Every moment I spend wondering about them is straight-up torture. It gets worse when Ott sidles up to me, jabbing an elbow into my ribs. He and I have barely spoken over the past two weeks, but he looks amped up now, his bright eyes underscoring the fact that he's snorted his fair share of lines off the Salisbury jock's piano.

"Looking for your chick?" Somehow, he makes it sound like a threat.

"She's not my chick," I mutter, avoiding the question. If Ott wants to get into this, I'm down, but I'm not going to do it here. Besides, she's not my chick. I only wish she was. (And put your ass on the line, more than once, to prove that to her...)

"Interesting," Brandon says, like he's not interested at all. "Weaver said he was taking her out tonight and that she was going to put out. Sounded like she wanted to keep it in the family."

I don't bother responding, taking a drink from my cup instead. Ott wants me to rise to his bait, but it's going to take more than this to get me there. He seems to sense that. He takes a long pull from his beer bottle, grunting a laugh. "Incredible, honestly. The only time that bitch cares about family is when she's screwing more than one member of it."

"Yeah, I'm not doing this with you now." I start to walk away, but Ott darts in front of me, blocking my path.

He lifts a brow, a sneer growing on his face. "Aw, come on, Evans. Don't be a pussy. Heard you announced your love to the whole of seventh period Calc. Now you're going to play coy with me? I thought we were better friends than that."

I'm struggling to maintain equilibrium. Brandon is itching for a fight from me, that's obvious. The problem is, if I'd had even a sip of beer tonight, I'd be more than willing to give it to him. I remind myself that taking a swing at Ott is a surefire way to get myself sent to boarding school, breathing hard to keep myself calm. Besides, I'm here for Somers.

"Was I wrong?" Ott's asking now, getting in my face. "Because at one point, we did talk about everything. I definitely told you, in detail, all the bullshit that came after Somers' disappearance with my dad. Unless the Evans I've been friends with for the past six years is MIA up there." He peers into my eyes, bringing his hand up as if to knock on my head and shake the cobwebs from my skull.

"Back off, man," I say, stepping back. "Let's not do this here." I can see Aaron Hart, the Salisbury meathead throwing this shindig, noticing our interaction and posturing to come our way.

"Where do you want to do it then, Evans? Don't you think you owe me some kind of explanation?"

Maybe. Probably. But I'm not saying that now. "Don't know," I grunt, sidestepping Ott. "Just, later."

"Nah, I don't think so. I want to do this now." Jesus, he's high, and he's coiled for a fight.

He shoves me then, both hands going to my shoulders, and I realize that we're really about to get into it here, in Hart's living room. I can already feel the blowback headed my way. Even if Ott starts this thing—and he is, his eyes are venom—there's no way in hell I'm just going to lie down and take it. Which means the videos that go up on social media will show me fighting and get me that one-way ticket to reform school my dad has been threatening.