THE BOARDERS: 39

Lo

"That's no way to talk to a lady, Ott."

Brandon holds out a hand, stopping Jared's progress in our direction. "Trust me, Weaver, I'd never speak to a lady the way I speak to this home-wrecking piece of trash. But it'd do you good to mind your own damn business. What the hell are you doing out here anyway?"

Jared takes a step in our direction but stumbles, reaching to the house for support. His glazed eyes narrow on Brandon. "She's here with me, dude. I'm making sure everything's kosher."

I'm breathing heavily, more scared than I'd like to admit. I've never seen Brandon this angry before. Much as I know he's wanted to, he's never laid a hand on me. The escalation feels significant.

I'm on the fence between wanting to run and itching to slam my foot into his groin. But Brandon preys on weakness and fear, and he's had mine for too many years. I will not give him that anymore. So when Jared looks to me, I try to shrug it off like I don't care.

"Don't worry about me, Jared. It's not my problem this moron believes his dad walked out on him on accident." I put a hand to my mouth and whisper loudly, "You'd think after three years without a word..."

"Goddammit!" Brandon explodes, launching at me. I try to step out of his way, but he catches my shirt and yanks me toward him.

"Let's get one thing straight. Your whore mom is the reason my dad left. Don't think I have any misconceptions about that. And you're just like her, Ho-gan, taking things that aren't yours, destroying what was just fucking fine before you came along."

I'm scared—terrified, actually—but I lace steel into my voice when I say, "Give it a rest, Brandon."

He's got a real grip on me now, and he shoves my shoulders back into the brick of the house behind me. My head follows my body's momentum, and stars explode behind my eyes. I blink hard to keep the tears in.

"That's not how it works, Logan."

The door to the patio slides closed and I glance around Brandon to see Jared disappearing into the house. "Wait," I want to shout. "Don't leave me with him." But I bite my tongue, because Brandon's advancing now, and his eyes are alight at the fear in mine.

"You still don't get it, do you?" Brandon leans into me, getting in my face before putting his hands on my shoulders and pulling me toward him. "Evans doesn't want you." He hisses the last, pushing me back again, hard. I'm caught off guard, and my head hits the brick a second time. I close my eyes against the pain and will myself not to whimper.

"No one wants you." He tugs me forward and shoves me back again. I'm ready for it now but can't stop the way my body ragdolls into the house.

"Heard your dad killed himself to get away from you and your crazy mom," Brandon taunts. This time, he doesn't let go of my shirt in time and I feel pressure at my back, hear the cheap fabric tearing over my shoulder. I want to cry, but I'm not giving him the satisfaction.

As if from far away, the patio door opens again. "Yo, Ott! What the hell are you doing out here?"

My heart sinks. It's Sam.

Brandon rolls his eyes, lowering his voice as if sharing a secret with me. "Weaver. Such a fucking pussy." But he doesn't back off me, and he doesn't answer Sam. Instead, he pushes further into my space, his body holding me against the wall of the house.

"Luckily, I can make this work too," he hisses in my ear.

"Ott, what the fuck? Where are you?" I can hear that Sam's gone the wrong direction out the doors, is now headed away from us.